1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pascal's Principle

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small tube is connected to the top of a larger one and the whole thing is filled with water. The small tube has height a and the larger tube has height b.

What happens to the pressure at the bottom of the larger tube as (1) a is varied, and (2) a is held constant but the diameter of the upper tube is increased?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    p_\text{gauge} = \rho g h
    [/tex]
    Pascal's principle.
    3. The attempt at a solution

(1) According to Pascal's principle, the larger tube will see a pressure increase of rho g a. This will increase the downward force at the bottom of the larger barrel, and that will be rho g a.

(2) I don't think the diameter matters, but intuitively I can't see why! If b is the diameter of a straw (a few millimeters), the smaller tube will increase the pressure on the larger one just as much as a big tube on top. It is only height that seems to matter, then, and if I took a really tall straw and put it over a large vat of water, I would see a huge increase in force at the bottom of the vat. Confused....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and, your question is --- what?

4. Sep 10, 2015 #3
    Is height really the only thing that matters here? Intuitively, this just doesn't make sense to me. How can a small straw of liquid (say 10 cm high) exert the same pressure at the surface of the barrel as, say, a huge vat that is just as high?

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4
    Dive 2 m down to the bottom of a swimming pool. Dive the same distance below the surface of the ocean: do you feel more pressure?

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5
    Well you do of course because ocean water is denser due to dissolved salts, but do you feel thousands of times more pressure?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted