Frequency of Pendulum on Moon: 1.18 Hz

In summary, a mass of 0.070 kg hanging from a flexible string of length L with a period of 0.704 s makes small oscillations. The oscillation frequency of the pendulum is 1.42 Hz. When calculating the period on the moon's surface with a gravitational acceleration of 1.67 m/s^2, the correct length is 12.3 cm. The g-value should be placed under the square-root sign when using the equation T= 2\pi \sqrt L/g.
Punchlinegirl
A pendulum consists of a mass m = 0.070 kg hanging from a flexible string of length L. The string is very thin, very light, and doesn't stretch much. It makes small oscillations, with a period of 0.704 s. Find the oscillation frequency of the pendulum. Neglect any air resistance.
I got this part ok.. the answer was 1.42 Hz.
The next part says.. Find the period of the same pendulum on the moon's surface. The gravitational acceleration of the moon is 1.67 m/s^2.
I used the equation
[tex] T= 2\pi \sqrt L/g [/tex]
[tex] .704 = 2\pi \sqrt L/9.8 [/tex]
Solving for L gave me 12.1 m
I then used this equation for the period on the moon
[tex] T= 2\pi \sqrt 12.1/1.67 [/tex]
T= 16.9 s, which wasn't right.
Can someone help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The length is wrong.
I get about 12.3 cm

Remember, the g-value is under the square-root sign

Ok I got it.. thanks!

1. What is the frequency of a pendulum on the moon?

The frequency of a pendulum on the moon is 1.18 Hz, meaning it completes 1.18 swings every second.

2. How does the frequency of a pendulum on the moon compare to that on Earth?

The frequency of a pendulum on the moon is significantly lower than that on Earth, which is typically around 0.994 Hz. This is due to the moon's weaker gravitational pull.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a pendulum on the moon?

The frequency of a pendulum on the moon is affected by the moon's gravitational pull, as well as the length and weight of the pendulum itself. Temperature and air resistance may also play a small role.

4. Can a pendulum's frequency be changed on the moon?

Yes, the frequency of a pendulum on the moon can be changed by altering the length or weight of the pendulum, or by changing the strength of the moon's gravitational pull.

5. Why is the frequency of a pendulum on the moon important?

The frequency of a pendulum on the moon is important because it can be used to measure the strength of the moon's gravitational pull and can also be used in experiments to study the effects of gravity and other factors on pendulum motion.