How Do You Calculate the Period of Oscillation for a Physical Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the period of oscillation for a physical pendulum consisting of 4.8m long sticks joined together. The equations for angular velocity, period, and moment of inertia are mentioned, as well as the importance of considering the position of the center of mass. The value for L is also clarified.
Shatzkinator

Homework Statement

A physical pendulum consists of 4.8 m long sticks joined together as shown in Fig. 15-43. What is the pendulum's period of oscillation about a pin inserted through point A at the center of the horizontal stick?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c15/fig15_43.gif

Homework Equations

w = sqt(MgL/I)
T = 2pi/w
I = 1/12ml^2 + 1/3ml^2
L = l/4

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for I using the above equation 3, solved for L using equation 4, plugged these values into equation 1 getting angular velocity. Then I solved for T in equation 2 and I do not get the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you have to acount for the fact that the centre of mass of the T-shaped pendulum is positioned higher then it would with just a simple one-stick pendulum

timon said:
you have to acount for the fact that the centre of mass of the T-shaped pendulum is positioned higher then it would with just a simple one-stick pendulum

how do i take that into account..?

Wot: no string this time?

davieddy said:
Wot: no string this time?

What? lol

what are you asking

Shatzkinator said:
What? lol

what are you asking

Refererence to "string+sphere" thread.

Your pendulum seems to be more rigid, but the problem
emphasizes the impotency of the moronic reliance on formulae.

davieddy said:
Refererence to "string+sphere" thread.

Your pendulum seems to be more rigid, but the problem
emphasizes the impotency of the moronic reliance on formulae.

Yea.. that doesn't help much =P

Shatzkinator said:
Yea.. that doesn't help much =P

Could anyone else please provide some input?

anyone??

L is the distance between the pivot and c of m
You said "1/4"
It is 4.8m/4

1. What is a pendulum oscillation?

A pendulum oscillation is the movement of a pendulum back and forth in a regular, repeating pattern. This is caused by the force of gravity pulling the pendulum towards its lowest point, and then the pendulum swinging back up due to its inertia.

2. What factors affect the period of a pendulum oscillation?

The period of a pendulum oscillation is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. A longer pendulum, heavier mass, and higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a longer period.

3. How can the period of a pendulum oscillation be calculated?

The period of a pendulum oscillation can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

4. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The length of a pendulum and its period are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the amplitude of a pendulum oscillation affect its period?

No, the amplitude of a pendulum oscillation does not affect its period. The period of a pendulum only depends on its length, mass, and acceleration due to gravity.