Pipe Flow Question - Fluid Mechanics

In summary, your tutor told you to measure the flow rate at the outlet instead of the head. He's obviously very smart.
finjetsu
Hi,

literally trying on the off chance that someone could help me.

basically doing an individual project in my third year at nottingham uni. Over the last 6 months I've built a pipe rig to measure the pressure drop over a test section.

Now my tutor is a bit of an idiot, and said the way i should measure this is by looking at the head and the flow rate which comes out of the outlet.

Now I've got some number and I've been painstakingly trying to get a pressure drop for the test section but not having any luck. Main problem is i have so much trouble applying my knowledge to actual problems.

Anyway I've included a jpeg whch the design and added a few details.

The head is 520mm, which is split 65mm in the tank and 455mm in the pipe which leads out of the tank.

Mass flow rate measured from the outlet at C is 0.95kg/s

Water is used to flow through the rig, so density is 1000kg/m^3

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• Experimental Rig Forum.jpg
    Experimental Rig Forum.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well your tutor is not a total idiot.

The tank and outlet seem to be at atmouspheric pressure in your diagram so the pressure drop in the whole outlet line is equal to the head.

To measure the actual pressure drop across your test section why don't you just connect a manometer at the two joints I see on either side?

Studiot said:
Well your tutor is not a total idiot.

The tank and outlet seem to be at atmouspheric pressure in your diagram so the pressure drop in the whole outlet line is equal to the head.

To measure the actual pressure drop across your test section why don't you just connect a manometer at the two joints I see on either side?

I'm sure he's not an idiot. Perhaps i mean he is a cantankerous bastard.

He's obviously very smart.

I asked him whether or not i should connect a manometer and he said you don't need to do that, just measure the flow rate. so yeah :(

1. What is pipe flow?

Pipe flow is the movement of fluid through a closed pipe or conduit. This can be either laminar (smooth and orderly) or turbulent (chaotic and irregular) depending on the flow rate and properties of the fluid.

2. How is pipe flow calculated?

The flow rate of pipe flow is calculated using the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the velocity of the fluid. Other factors such as viscosity, density, and pressure may also need to be considered in more complex calculations.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent pipe flow?

Laminar flow occurs when the fluid moves in smooth, parallel layers with no mixing or swirling. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is characterized by chaotic motion and mixing of fluid particles. Turbulent flow typically occurs at higher flow rates and is more common in real-world applications.

4. How does pipe diameter affect flow rate?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct effect on the flow rate. In laminar flow, the flow rate is proportional to the radius of the pipe, while in turbulent flow, it is proportional to the square of the radius. This means that a larger pipe diameter will result in a higher flow rate.

5. What are some factors that can affect pipe flow?

There are several factors that can affect pipe flow, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), and the roughness of the pipe walls. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in certain situations.