Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Flow Rate Measurement

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am stuck on a pipe flow measurement problem and I would love if some excellent minds would help me out.
    I have a robot that sprays paint, and there is a motor pump providing the paint to it. I need to be able to measure the flow rate (velocity) of the paint going through the nozzle.
    Would someone be able to give me a very elegant and simple way to theoretically explain why I can't use one pressure sensor to get flow rate?
    I know that Bernoulli's principle relies on a pressure difference, and that there doesn't exist a commercial solution that measures flow rate with just one sensor.
    But what about these points that seems to counter the above?
    - If I have a vacuum cleaner, and there is a hole in the side of the tube, I can feel the air blowing into that hole. If I were to increase the motor speed of the vacuum, then this air blowing into the side hole is increased. If I were to put just one pressure sensor in that hole, wouldn't I get a correlation between that reading and the flow rate of the air? What am I missing in this analogy?
    - If we need a pressure difference to get the flow rate, why can't I just use the outside air (that we are spraying into) as the other pressure value? Since it is about 0 psi environment that we are spraying to, can't we use that as the other pressure value, thereby calculating flow?
    - I know that if we close the nozzle valve and run the pump, then the sensor would sense increased pressure while speed remains at zero, giving us a faulty value. But what if we just choose to measure the pressure only when we know the valve is open? Could we get a correlation between the one pressure reading and flow?

The problem is, I intuitively know that it isn't possible to use just one pressure sensor. I know I need two, but I can't come up with a really elegant theoretical explanation/analogy to really convince myself. I also need to disprove the above counterpoints to really convince myself. Your wisdom and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Sangwoo

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted