Sign Discrepancy in Plane Stress Transformation Solutions?

In summary, the conversation was about a problem with incorrect signs in the solution. The stress tensor and unit normal to the joint were given, and using the Cauchy stress relationship, the stress vector acting on the joint was determined. The components of this stress vector normal and tangent to the joint were calculated, and the critical load for the joint not to fail was found to be 3896 N. This result was confirmed by another person's answer.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem with my attempt at the solution:
8Ezm0.jpg

The magnitude of my answers are correct, HOWEVER I am getting the wrong signs. For the force balance in the x direction I get a negative P but for the force balance in the y direction I get a positive P. Does anyone know why?

I was thinking it was because I have the wrong direction for shear stress on my free body diagram... But I thought this wouldn't matter since the math will always work itself out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The stress tensor in the members is ##\vec{\sigma}=\frac{P}{(0.05)(0.08)}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_x=250 P\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_x## Pa. The unit normal to the joint is ##\cos {25}\vec{i}_x+\sin{25}i_y##. From the Cauchy stress relationship, the stress vector acting on the joint is ##250 P\cos {25}\vec{i}_x##. The component of this stress vector normal to the joint is ##250 P\cos^2 {25}##. The unit tangent to the joint is ##\cos{25} \vec{i}y-\sin{25}\vec{i_x}##. The component of the stress vector tangent to the joint is ##250 P\sin{25}\cos {25}##. So, for the joint not to fail,
$$250 P \cos^2 {25}< 800000$$and $$250 P\sin{25}\cos {25}<600000$$So,$$P<3896\ N$$and $$P<6266\ N$$So the critical load is 3896 N.

This result is basically the same as the result obtained by theBEAST, and thus confirms his answer.

1. What is plane stress transformation?

Plane stress transformation is a mathematical technique used in structural engineering and materials science to analyze the stress and strain in a two-dimensional plane. It involves transforming the stresses and strains from one coordinate system to another in order to simplify the analysis of a structure or material.

2. Why is plane stress transformation important?

Plane stress transformation allows engineers and scientists to accurately analyze the stress and strain in a structure or material, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of the design. It also helps to identify potential failure points and optimize the design for maximum strength and efficiency.

3. What are the equations used in plane stress transformation?

The equations used in plane stress transformation are the Cauchy stress tensor transformation equations and the Hooke's law transformation equations. These equations involve matrix multiplication and trigonometric functions to transform the stress and strain components from one coordinate system to another.

4. What are the assumptions made in plane stress transformation?

The main assumptions made in plane stress transformation are that the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and linearly elastic. This means that the material has uniform properties in all directions, behaves the same under tension and compression, and follows Hooke's law, which describes the relationship between stress and strain.

5. How is plane stress transformation applied in real-world applications?

Plane stress transformation is applied in real-world applications such as designing buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the analysis of materials used in these structures. It is also used in the aerospace industry for analyzing the stress and strain in aircraft and spacecraft components. Additionally, it is used in the manufacturing of materials to ensure their strength and durability.