Please help Somple Work-energy problem

• Thread starter Rha1828
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work-energy
Rha1828
Please help! Somple Work-energy problem!

Sam works at an amusement park. A boat of children on a water ride comes the the pier at the end of the ride. They are moving at a constant speed of 1.2 m/s, and the loaded boat has a mass of 1200kg. Sam slows the boat down by pushing on it until it comes to rest at the pier. If he stops it in a distance of 1.75m, and his arms make a 30o angle above the horizontal,

* a) how much work did Sam do on the boat?
* b) how large a force did he apply to the boat?

I thought if I added the mass X gravity that would five me force.
Then I took F cos theta X s to get 1.51 J
and the foce would be 11760.

I am not sure if that is right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Rha1828 said:
Sam works at an amusement park. A boat of children on a water ride comes the the pier at the end of the ride. They are moving at a constant speed of 1.2 m/s, and the loaded boat has a mass of 1200kg. Sam slows the boat down by pushing on it until it comes to rest at the pier. If he stops it in a distance of 1.75m, and his arms make a 30o angle above the horizontal,

* a) how much work did Sam do on the boat?
* b) how large a force did he apply to the boat?

I thought if I added the mass X gravity that would five me force.
Then I took F cos theta X s to get 1.51 J
and the foce would be 11760.

I am not sure if that is right.

Why would you make two threads within an hour and a half of each other.

Perhaps anyone viewing this should go to

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=300950

I would also advice [for the sake of not being deleted] that you should probably only make one post on each topic and refine from there.

I am not a moderator, just a regular member trying to give you some friendly advice.

Wow you are so helpful thanks! :)

Rha1828, it is against Forum policy to start duplicate threads.

1. What is a work-energy problem?

A work-energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done on an object in order to change its kinetic energy. It typically involves finding the work done by a force on an object and then using that to calculate the change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. What is the equation for work in a work-energy problem?

The equation for work in a work-energy problem is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the magnitude of the force applied, d is the displacement of the object, and θ is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the displacement.

3. How is work related to energy in a work-energy problem?

In a work-energy problem, work is directly related to energy. This is because work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. In this case, work done on an object will result in a change in the object's kinetic energy.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work in a work-energy problem?

The unit of measurement for work in a work-energy problem is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy, as work and energy are directly related.

5. What are some real-life examples of work-energy problems?

Some real-life examples of work-energy problems include pushing a cart up a hill, lifting a heavy object, and swinging a baseball bat. In each of these situations, work is being done on an object to change its kinetic energy.