Potential Difference: Electron Accelerated to Relativistic Speed

In summary: That seems much more reasonable.In summary, the total energy of an electron at rest is 8.199e-14 J and the change in kinetic energy after being accelerated to 0.8c is 5.46627e-14 J. Dividing this by the charge on the electron gives a potential difference requirement of 342,000 volts. This confirms the approach taken in the first calculation.
Kung-Fu

Homework Statement

An electron accelerated from rest through a potential difference V acquires a
speed of 0.8c. Find the value of V.

Homework Equations

E=(gamma)mc^2, E=Vq

The Attempt at a Solution

For this I related the two equations above and chose a value of m=0.5MeV for the electron and found the value of gamma=1.6667, since I did this in electron volts I canceled out the c^2 and charge of the electron from the resulting equation and got something looking like this: V=(gamma)mc^2/q=1.667*0.5MeV=8.33e5 V

I wanted to get a confirmation if this was the correct way to approach this problem, I do not know if this answer is or isn't correct.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are computing the total energy of the electron and comparing it to the potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy after acceleration. What about the rest energy of the electron?

I'm sorry but I don't see how my equation doesn't take potential energy into consideration. I calculated the total energy of the electron at 0.8c and solved for the potential difference requirement by dividing by the charge on the electron. It is a little convoluted by me cancelling the charge and c^2 so I re-did it like this: E=(gamma)mc^2=1.667*9.11e-31*9e16=1.367e-13 J, this is the total energy. I then related this to E=qV and got V=E/q=1.367e-13/1.6e-19=8.54e5 V; the answer is a little bit different but could be due to rounding errors.

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Yes, what I am saying is that the total energy of the electron after acceleration is not going to be equal to the potential energy before acceleration. What is the total energy of an electron at rest?

E(int)=9.11e-31*9e16=8.199e-14 J and deltaKE=(1.667-1)9.11e-31*9e16=5.46627e-14 J

With this do I now compare the kinetic energy to the charge and this is the potential difference requirement? Like V=deltaKE/q=5.46627e-14/1.6e-19=3.42e5 V?

Yes, although I would still use units of MeV/c^2 for the electron mass as well as MeV for the energy as this will give you significantly easier computations. (Note that your original answer 8.54e5 V is 5.1e5 V larger than your new (and correct) answer, exactly corresponding to the electron mass of 511 keV/c^2 = 5.11e5 eV/c^2 ...)

Likes Kung-Fu
Alright, I got it down now. Thank you very much for your help!

I'm only just getting back into math and physics and am confused by the nomenclature above. For example the calculated potential voltage difference in the problem stated at the beginning is shown as "3.42e5 V". I assume this means 3.42 multiplied by e (2.71828...) raised to the 5th power. But that only comes out to 507.6 volts, which is way too low to impart a relativistic velocity to an electron. So I have to be misinterpreting that expression.

No problem, I just realized that 3.42e5 is shorthand for 3.42 times 10 to the 5th power, or 342,000 volts.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is typically measured in volts (V) and represents the work done per unit charge to move a charge from one point to another.

What is an electron accelerated to relativistic speed?

An electron accelerated to relativistic speed is an electron that is moving at a speed close to the speed of light, which is about 300,000,000 meters per second. At these speeds, the kinetic energy of the electron is significantly greater than its rest mass energy.

How does potential difference affect the acceleration of an electron to relativistic speed?

Potential difference plays a crucial role in accelerating an electron to relativistic speed. When a potential difference is applied across a vacuum tube, the electric field created accelerates the electron, increasing its energy and speed. As the electron approaches the speed of light, its mass also increases, requiring even more energy to accelerate it further.

What is the relationship between potential difference and kinetic energy of an electron accelerated to relativistic speed?

The relationship between potential difference and kinetic energy of an electron accelerated to relativistic speed is described by the equation KE = qV, where KE is the kinetic energy, q is the charge of the electron, and V is the potential difference. This equation shows that the kinetic energy of the electron is directly proportional to the potential difference applied.

What are the practical applications of potential difference in accelerating electrons to relativistic speed?

Potential difference is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, X-ray machines, and cathode ray tubes. These technologies rely on the acceleration of electrons to relativistic speeds to generate and manipulate high-energy particles and radiation for various purposes in science, medicine, and technology.