How Do You Determine the Graph Type and Rotation Angle for These Equations?

In summary: If it were y= (1/8)x2 would you be sure it was a parabola? y2+ 8x= 0 is the same as x= (-1/8)y2 so what has happened here is that the x and y axes have been swapped.
LePahj
I need help identifying the graphs of the following equations and their angles of rotation. I know I should be comparing these equations against the general equations and looking at the differences between the variables to determine the type of equation, and that I should be using the discriminant to determine the angles of rotation. However, I have never seen this done with equations with so few variables. I would really appreciate not just the answers, but explanations! Thanks.

1. y^2 + 8x = 0

I'm pretty sure this is a parabola, but I have no idea about the angle of rotation

2. 3xy - 4 = 0

hyperbola?

3. 9x^2 - 4(sqrt3)xy + 5y^2 = 15

ellipse?

Physics news on Phys.org
ooo and

4. xy = -5

hyperbola

LePahj said:
I need help identifying the graphs of the following equations and their angles of rotation. I know I should be comparing these equations against the general equations and looking at the differences between the variables to determine the type of equation, and that I should be using the discriminant to determine the angles of rotation. However, I have never seen this done with equations with so few variables. I would really appreciate not just the answers, but explanations! Thanks.

1. y^2 + 8x = 0

I'm pretty sure this is a parabola, but I have no idea about the angle of rotation
If it were y= (1/8)x2 would you be sure it was a parabola? y2+ 8x= 0 is the same as x= (-1/8)y2 so what has happened here is that the x and y axes have been swapped. What angle is that?

2. 3xy - 4 = 0

hyperbola?
Yes, it is. What are the axes of symmetry? That should tell you how it has rotated. Have you drawn a graph?

3. 9x^2 - 4(sqrt3)xy + 5y^2 = 15

ellipse?
Now this is probably the hardest of the lot. I know a couple of methods of converting it to "principal axes" but they are very complex. There are combinations of the coefficients that will tell you whether you have ellipse, hyperbola, etc. Do you know any of those?
Of course, any time you have angles, you expect trig functions. What angles gives trig functions that include sqrt(3)?

LePahj said:
ooo and

4. xy = -5

hyperbola
Yes. Again looking at the axes of symmetry should tell you the angle of rotation.

What is Pre-Calculus and why is it important?

Pre-Calculus is a branch of mathematics that prepares students for higher level calculus courses. It covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions. It is important because it provides a strong foundation for students who plan to pursue careers in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

What are some common challenges students face when studying Pre-Calculus?

Some common challenges students face when studying Pre-Calculus include understanding complex mathematical principles, memorizing formulas, and applying concepts to real-world problems. Time management and keeping up with the fast pace of the course can also be difficult for some students.

How can I improve my understanding of Pre-Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Pre-Calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also use online resources, such as interactive tutorials and practice problems, to supplement your learning. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or your teacher can greatly improve your understanding of the subject.

What are some tips for succeeding in Pre-Calculus?

Some tips for succeeding in Pre-Calculus include staying organized, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and staying on top of assignments and deadlines. It is also important to review previous concepts and seek extra practice if you are struggling with a particular topic.

Is there a specific way to approach Pre-Calculus homework?

It is important to approach Pre-Calculus homework with a clear understanding of the concepts and formulas being covered. Start by reviewing notes and class material, and then attempt the problems on your own. If you get stuck, refer back to your notes or seek help from your teacher or peers. It is also beneficial to check your work and identify any mistakes to improve your understanding.