1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure drop

1. Jun 16, 2015 #1
    I have a container with one inlet and one outlet. I have the area of the inlet, Ai, velocity vi of the air coming in, and mass flow mi (assume a plane with an air inlet to a bay). I don't know anything about the outlet (just that there is one). What I need to do is calculate the size of an extra hole to be made in the bay so that the pressure in the bay reaches a certain value P2, which is lower than the stagnation pressure of the air coming in the bay.

I approached the problem with the Bernoulli law, as I ignore the incompressibility of the air. So I have Pstag in the bay, which is static pressure + dynamic pressure of the air coming in, and outside the bay I have the ambient pressure. Is the pressure difference between the bay inside and outside Pstaginside-Pamb or does the dynamic pressure of the air outside the pressure play a role?

And after that?

I can explain more if it is not clear enough. Thank you in advance for all the tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
    Can you give the numbers too?

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
    There are no numbers, it is just letters.
    I will Close the topic, since I Think I might have figured out the answer.
    Thank you anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted