1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in inclined pipe

1. Jun 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in the solution , the author gave that volume flow rate = delta P - (rho)(g)(L sin theta) ,
    IMO , it's wrong ...
    2MWLpRK.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    it should be P1 - (rho)(g)(L sin theta) , where (rho)(g)(L) = P2 , correct me if i am wrong . i think so because i consider P1 - (rho)(g)(L sin theta) as delta P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2016 #2
    P2 is zero gauge. the pipe discharges to the atmosphere.

4. Jun 9, 2016 #3
    why the author wrote it as delta P - (rho)(g)(L sin theta) ? why not only delta P , which is Pressure at region 1 only ( the P2 = 0 ) ??? why there's an extra (rho)(g)(L sin theta) ?

5. Jun 9, 2016 #4
    Are you familiar with the Navier Stokes equations?

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5
    no , i have never heard of that

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6
    If the fluid were in static equilibrium, then we would have $$P_1+\rho g z_1=P_2+\rho g z_2$$In this problem, they are taking the datum for elevation z as location 1, the entrance to the pipe section. So ##z_1=0##. So for static equilibrium, our equation becomes:$$P_1=P_2+\rho g z_2$$ The elevation ##z_2## is related to the length of the pipe and the pipe angle by:$$z_2=L\sin \theta$$. Therefore, for static equilibrium, we have:
    $$P_1=P_2+\rho g L\sin \theta$$Now, if ##P_1>P_2+\rho g L\sin \theta##, the fluid will flow from point 1 (the inlet) to point 2 (the outlet). Therefore, the driving force for fluid flow from entrance to exit is ##P_1-P_2-\rho g L\sin \theta=\Delta P-\rho g L\sin \theta##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted