Pressure, temperature and entropy vs. volume graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of a one mole ideal monoatomic gas expanding to a final volume cVi in 3 reversible steps. The steps include an isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, and a final isothermal expansion. The conversation also includes sketches of pressure, temperature, and entropy as they evolve with volume. The adiabatic path has a greater rate of decline in pressure with increase in volume than the isothermal path and the temperature decreases as internal energy decreases. The Temperature Volume graph should have two flat isotherms at 1000K and a decreased T1, with a steep isotherm between them where isothermal expansion occurs.
RJWills

Homework Statement

"In the following a<b<c are finite positive constants. One mole of an ideal monoatomic gas, initially at volume Vi and temperature 1000K, expands to a final volume cVi in 3 reversible steps: (1) isothermal expansion from Vi to aVi (2) adiabatic expansion from aVi to bVi (3) isothermal expansion from bVi to cVi.

b)a) Make careful sketches, approximately to scale, of how i) the pressure ii) the temperature and iii) the entropy evolve with volume.

Homework Equations

pV=nRT,
W = ∫pdV
ΔU= Q-W
W=nRTlnVf/Vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come up with these after quite a bit of thinking:

a) i)pV:
pressure.png

ii)Temp v pressure.This doesn't look right to me, but my reasoning is, first step temp stays the same, reversible adiabatic expansion has no ΔQ and again isothermal keeps it the same. Right? The only thing I can think is there's a problem in my understanding of a adiabatic reversible expansion- how does the temp change?!

tempchange.png

Entropy vs Volume
entropychange.png

*Just realized I should have arrows an all isotherms because it's reversible

Physics news on Phys.org
RJWills said:
I've come up with these after quite a bit of thinking:

a) i)pV:
pressure.png
The adiabatic path has a greater rate of decline in pressure with decrease in volume than does the isothermal path. So you need to change the second isothermal path.
ii)Temp v pressure.This doesn't look right to me, but my reasoning is, first step temp stays the same, reversible adiabatic expansion has no ΔQ and again isothermal keeps it the same. Right? The only thing I can think is there's a problem in my understanding of a adiabatic reversible expansion- how does the temp change?!
An adiabatic expansion will result in work being done but since there is no heat flow, the work done must be equal to the change in internal energy (use the first law). So internal energy must decrease. For an ideal gas, how is internal energy related to temperature?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The adiabatic path has a greater rate of decline in pressure with decrease in volume than does the isothermal path. So you need to change the second isothermal path.
An adiabatic expansion will result in work being done but since there is no heat flow, the work done must be equal to the change in internal energy (use the first law). So internal energy must decrease. For an ideal gas, how is internal energy related to temperature?

AM

With the adibatic path do you mean a greater rate of decline in pressure with increase in volume? Or have I misunderstood the concept?

Also with the adiabatic expansion, because U=3/2 nRT, that a decrease in U, would be a result of a decrease in T since R is a constant and n is kept the same? How steep would I expect the slope to be- is it a rapid decrease (looking like your average adiabatic isotherm) or does it have a shallower slope?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

RJWills said:
With the adibatic path do you mean a greater rate of decline in pressure with increase in volume? Or have I misunderstood the concept?
Yes. That is what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.
Also with the adiabatic expansion, because U=3/2 nRT, that a decrease in U, would be a result of a decrease in T since R is a constant and n is kept the same? How steep would I expect the slope to be- is it a rapid decrease (looking like your average adiabatic isotherm) or does it have a shallower slope?
I am not sure that you mean an adiabatic isotherm. That would be a free expansion which is not a quasi-static process. The adiabatic (quasi-static) curve reflects a greater decrease in pressure as volume increases than the isotherm. Just draw the second isotherm like the first, with a shallower negative slope.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Yes. That is what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.
I am not sure that you mean an adiabatic isotherm. That would be a free expansion which is not a quasi-static process. The adiabatic (quasi-static) curve reflects a greater decrease in pressure as volume increases than the isotherm. Just draw the second isotherm like the first, with a shallower negative slope.

AM

Sorry to beat the question to death but I'm a bit confused now. So should my Temperature Volume graph should look like the pV graph with a steeper middle isotherm? Or should it have two flat isotherms (1st at 1000K, the second at the decreased T1) with a steep isotherm between the flat parts where isothermal expansion happens :uhh:

RJWills said:
Sorry to beat the question to death but I'm a bit confused now. So should my Temperature Volume graph should look like the pV graph with a steeper middle isotherm? Or should it have two flat isotherms (1st at 1000K, the second at the decreased T1) with a steep isotherm between the flat parts where isothermal expansion happens :uhh:
There is no "middle isotherm". The second (middle) graph is of an adiabatic process - temperature is not constant during this process, as you have already determined.

AM

1. What is the relationship between pressure and volume on a graph?

The relationship between pressure and volume on a graph is inverse. This means that as the volume of a gas increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law.

2. How does temperature affect the shape of a pressure vs. volume graph?

Temperature has a direct effect on the shape of a pressure vs. volume graph. As the temperature increases, the graph becomes steeper, indicating that the pressure increases more rapidly with a change in volume. This relationship is known as Charles's Law.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a temperature vs. volume graph?

The slope of a temperature vs. volume graph represents the change in volume with a change in temperature. This slope is known as the coefficient of thermal expansion and is a measure of how much a substance expands or contracts with a change in temperature.

4. How do changes in entropy affect the shape of a pressure vs. volume graph?

Changes in entropy do not directly affect the shape of a pressure vs. volume graph. However, changes in entropy can affect the temperature and pressure of a gas, which can then be represented on the graph.

5. How can a pressure vs. volume graph be used to determine the state of a gas?

A pressure vs. volume graph can be used to determine the state of a gas by looking at the location of the data point on the graph. The point where the two axes intersect represents the state of the gas at that particular pressure and volume. Also, the shape of the graph can indicate the type of process the gas is undergoing, such as isothermal, isobaric, or isochoric.