Problem involving Gaussian Integrals

In summary, the homework statement suggests that the substitution x=\frac{u}{\sqrt{a}}\pm \sqrt{\frac{u^{2}}{a}+\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}} may be helpful taking into account the limits carefully. However, the attempt at a solution ended up with another integral which was no more helpful than the one i had in the beginning, and didnt resemble the stated gaussian integral.
alexburns1991

Homework Statement

[tex]\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}(ax^{2}+\frac{b}{x^{2}})} dx[/tex]

from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

it says to solve this, given that, again from [tex]-\infty[/tex]to [tex]\infty[/tex]:

[tex]\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}}dx[/tex]

= [tex]\sqrt{}2\pi[/tex]

and suggests that the substitution

[tex]u = x\sqrt{a}- \frac{\sqrt{b}}{x}[/tex]

may be helpful taking into account the limits carefully

The Attempt at a Solution

i did all this and all i ended up with was another integral which was no more helpful than the one i had in the beginning, and didnt resemble the stated gaussian integral. i am also unsure as to what to make of the "taking into account the limits carefully" I am not sure if there is something that I am missing out which is blindingly obvious, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start is to sketch the function you are trying to substitute and work out whether it makes for a reasonable substitution (that way you should be able to see the limits and all that straight off your sketch). Also find the inverse function, u as a function of x.

What is dx in terms of du?

What is the integral you get in the substitution?

Show us where you got stuck, and hopefully we can get you unstuck!

well i get

[tex]\frac{2du}{\sqrt{a}+\frac{\sqrt{b}}{x}} = dx[/tex]

leading to

and then

[tex]-(\sqrt{ab}+2u^{2}) = -\frac{1}{2}(ax^{2}+\frac{b}{x^{2}})[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{u}{\sqrt{a}}\pm \sqrt{\frac{u^{2}}{a}+\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}}[/tex]
which i make completely unhelpful

all in all, this gives me an integral of...

[tex]2\int\frac{e^{-(\sqrt{ab}+2u^{2})}}{\sqrt{a}+\frac{\sqrt{b}}{x^{2}}} du[/tex]

with that horrendous expression for [tex]x^{2}[/tex] substituted in.
also, I'm pretty sure that the limits would remain as [tex]\pm\infty[/tex] but the question looks as though it appears otherwise...?

Firstly the limits: you're not being careful, you're just guessing. Sketch u as a function of x. (Use a graphing program if you must.)

Your inverse looks good: which sign should you take and why (hint: think about the limits).

Your expression looks pretty good; but as you say it's pretty messy. An equivalent thing to do would be to differentiate your inverse expression to find dx in terms of du; that should keep everything on the top line and in terms of u. Is that expression any simpler?

Keep plugging at it and you'll get there.

1. What is a Gaussian integral?

A Gaussian integral is an integral that involves the Gaussian function, also known as the normal distribution. It is a common probability distribution used in statistics and describes the frequency of occurrence of a continuous variable.

2. Why are Gaussian integrals important?

Gaussian integrals are important because they have many applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve a wide range of problems involving continuous variables, such as finding probabilities and determining areas under curves.

3. How do you solve a Gaussian integral?

To solve a Gaussian integral, you can use techniques such as completing the square, substitution, or integration by parts. The specific method will depend on the form of the integral and the variables involved.

4. What is the relationship between Gaussian integrals and the standard normal distribution?

The standard normal distribution is a special case of the Gaussian integral, where the mean is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. This relationship allows for the use of tables and graphs to easily calculate probabilities and other values associated with the normal distribution.

5. Can Gaussian integrals be solved analytically?

In most cases, Gaussian integrals cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods to approximate the solution. However, some special cases, such as the standard normal distribution, can be solved analytically using specific techniques.