Projectile Motion bombarding cancer tumors

In summary, the group of doctors at the city's research hospital are investigating the use of high energy ions to bombard cancer tumors. The ions are fired at a speed of 5.0 x 10^7 m/s and are deflected sideways between two charged metal plates to cover the entire tumor area. To move an ion 2.0 cm to one side, an acceleration of 6.52 x 10^12 m/s^2 is required. It seems that there may be some ambiguity in the question as the calculated answer does not match the answer given in the book. Further clarification may be needed.
Grapz

Homework Statement

You are asked to consult for the city's research hospital, where a group of doctors is investigating the bombardment of cancer tumors with high energy ions. The ions are fired directly toward the center of the tumor at speeds of 5.0 x 10 ^ 7 m/s. To cover the entire tumor area, the ions are deflected side-ways by passing them between two charged metal platest hat accelerate the ions perpendicular to the direction of their initial motion. The acceleration region is 5.0 cm long, and the ends of the acceleration plates are 1.5 m from the patient. What acceleration is required to move an ion 2.0 cm to one side?

Homework Equations

d = vt (1)
yf = yi + vi t + 1/2 a t^2 (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the time it takes for it to hit the target
d / v = t
1.5 / 5.0 x 10 ^ 6 = 3.1 x 10 ^ - 7 s

Next i do use equation 2.

0.02 = 1/2 a ( 3.1 x 10 ^ -7) ^ 2
a = 4.4 ^ 10 - 11 m/s^2

The answer in the book says the answer is 6.52 x 10 ^ 12

Can someone help me out and straighten things out. The question i find is a bit ambigious, not exactly sure if i interpreted it right. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you could try working backwards to see what you've done wrong.
i think that you've used some values in the wrong places

I have tried to work backwards.

When i do that, i get that the y value is 0.3 :/

1. What is projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors?

Projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors is a form of cancer treatment in which high-energy particles, such as protons, are directed at cancerous cells to destroy them. This treatment is also known as proton therapy.

2. How does projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors work?

Projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors works by targeting the cancer cells with a precise beam of high-energy particles, which damages the DNA of the cancer cells and prevents them from multiplying and spreading. This treatment is more targeted and causes less damage to surrounding healthy tissue compared to traditional radiation therapy.

3. What are the benefits of projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors?

The benefits of projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors include a more targeted and precise treatment, which leads to fewer side effects and less damage to healthy tissue. It also has a higher success rate in treating certain types of cancer, such as tumors near sensitive areas like the brain or spinal cord.

4. What types of cancer can be treated with projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors?

Projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors can be used to treat a variety of cancers, including brain tumors, prostate cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, and many others. It is particularly effective for tumors that are close to vital organs or sensitive areas of the body.

5. What is the process for receiving projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors treatment?

The process for receiving projectile motion bombarding cancer tumors treatment involves several steps. First, a team of doctors will evaluate the patient to determine if they are a suitable candidate for this type of treatment. Then, the patient will undergo imaging scans to determine the location and size of the tumor. Finally, the patient will receive multiple sessions of treatment, typically over a few weeks, where the high-energy particles are directed at the tumor to destroy the cancer cells.