Pullback and Pushforward in Manifolds: Why Do We Do It?

In summary, the reason one pulls back a form and pushes a vector forward is to induce a metric on a submanifold.
observer1
In my ignorance, when first learning, I just assumed that one pushed a vector forward to where a form lived and then they ate each other.

And I assumed one pulled a form back to where a vector lived (for the same reason).

But I see now this is idiotic: for one does the pullback and pushforward between two DIFFERENT manifolds. But forms and vectors live on the cotangent and tangent space of the SAME manifold.

So, that being the case... WHY does one do this?

I can sort of intuit why ones does this for functions (pulling back a function to a simpler place).

But for forms? Why does one WANT to pull back a form?
Why does one WANT to push a vector forward?

Examples in dynamcis are most welcome (if possible).

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the more intuitive examples would be the induced metric on a submanifold. Embedding a manifold in a higher-dimensional one will induce a metric on the embedded space which is the pullback of the metric tensor in the higher-dimensional one. Example: The embedding of Earth's surface in ##\mathbb R^3##.

For the same reason, you can push vectors from the submanifold to the embedding manifold.

Orodruin said:
One of the more intuitive examples would be the induced metric on a submanifold. Embedding a manifold in a higher-dimensional one will induce a metric on the embedded space which is the pullback of the metric tensor in the higher-dimensional one. Example: The embedding of Earth's surface in ##\mathbb R^3##.

For the same reason, you can push vectors from the submanifold to the embedding manifold.

OK, now that is interesting. And I get it. But that is an obscure example. Can you provide one from, say, dynamics?

I mean, in the case of continuum mechanics, and the stress tensor, I can "intuit" (as I become more adept at this -- which I am not, right now), that the two manifolds in question could be the original and deformed configuration, and one wants to see what happens to vectors between them. (I can't imagine how FORMS would come into play, but I can wait). Do you have any examples like that? Dynamics? Continuum Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Fracture Mechanics?

observer1 said:
But that is an obscure example.
In which sense is this an obscure example? Embeddings of manifolds are among the more hands-on things you can do. If you want dynamics, just take a particle moving on a sphere. The configuration space is then a sphere - a submanifold of ##\mathbb R^3## and the inertia tensor is just the induced metric (multiplied by the particle mass).

Orodruin said:
In which sense is this an obscure example? Embeddings of manifolds are among the more hands-on things you can do. If you want dynamics, just take a particle moving on a sphere. The configuration space is then a sphere - a submanifold of ##\mathbb R^3## and the inertia tensor is just the induced metric (multiplied by the particle mass).

Ah... now I see... thank you!

1. What is Pullback and Pushforward in science?

Pullback and Pushforward are mathematical concepts used to describe the transformation of a mathematical object from one space to another. In science, these concepts are used to analyze changes in physical quantities, such as position, velocity, and momentum, as a system evolves.

2. Why do scientists use Pullback and Pushforward?

Scientists use Pullback and Pushforward to track the changes in physical quantities as a system evolves and moves through different spaces. This allows them to understand how a system behaves and how it is affected by external factors.

3. How do Pullback and Pushforward relate to each other?

Pullback and Pushforward are inverse operations of each other. Pullback involves pulling a mathematical object back from one space to another, while Pushforward involves pushing a mathematical object forward from one space to another. Together, they provide a complete picture of how a system evolves.

4. In which fields of science are Pullback and Pushforward commonly used?

Pullback and Pushforward are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in studying dynamical systems, which involve the movement and evolution of physical quantities over time.

5. Can Pullback and Pushforward be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Pullback and Pushforward can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, they are often used in practical applications, such as analyzing the movement of objects in space or predicting the behavior of complex systems.