Question on Surface Integral and Flux

In summary, to calculate the flux through a rectangular plane with a uniform-magnetic-field of 2.0 T along the y-axis, you can use the equation Flux = B (dot) A (dot) d. To find the direction of the magnetic-field, you can use the cross product of two vectors that lie in the plane. One possible set of vectors could be (3,-1,0) and (0,0,-1).
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

I have a coordinate system, (x,y,z). There is a uniform-magnetic-field of 2.0 T that exists along
the direction of the y-axis. There is a rectangular plane bounded by the points
(3,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,1,1),(3,0,1).
Calculate how much flux is traveling through the rectangular plane.

Homework Equations

Flux = B (dot) A (dot) d

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the rectangular plane is not changing, the magnetic-field is just dotted with the surface. And this surface is composed of the dot product of the Area and the Direction.

I can easily find the area, but I don't know how to find the direction.

What do I do with the information that tells me the B-field exists along the y-axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time to brush up on your linear algebra! From the points defining the plane you can construct two vectors that lie in the plane. Then think about how you might construct a vector that's perpendicular to them both.

Would I compare triangles in the xy-plane?

Loppyfoot said:
Would I compare triangles in the xy-plane?
Nope. Review the cross product operation and what it gives you.

Alright, so the corss product of two vectors will give me a vector that is perpendicular to the plane (which is in the direction that I want).

I'm not sure what these vectors would be? How do I know what vectors to cross?

Any two vectors that lie in the plane should do, except if they're parallel (or antiparallel).

Could I use, (3,-1,0)x(0,0,-1)?

Loppyfoot said:
Could I use, (3,-1,0)x(0,0,-1)?
Yes, you could. See where that takes you. Beware of the fact that there are two normals to any plane (opposite directions).

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integration used to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field across a surface. It involves dividing the surface into small pieces and adding up the contributions from each piece.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

A surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional curve. They both involve integrating a vector field, but over different types of regions.

What is the relationship between a surface integral and a double integral?

A surface integral can be seen as a type of double integral, where the region being integrated over is a surface rather than a two-dimensional region in the xy-plane. Both types of integrals involve an area element, but the surface integral also takes into account the normal direction of the surface.

How is the direction of the normal vector of a surface determined for a surface integral?

The direction of the normal vector for a surface is determined by the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the surface and the thumb points in the direction of the normal vector. This direction is important in calculating the flux of a vector field across the surface.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals and flux?

Surface integrals and flux have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluids through a surface, determining the electric or magnetic flux through a surface, and calculating the work done by a force on a rotating object. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate the amount of light reflected off a surface.