Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,136
lisab said:
Weird. You know that smell you get on your hands after petting a dog? Well I have that smell on my hands now. I don't have a dog, and it's been a few days since I petted one. I might add, I have had dozens of hand washings, several showers, and one luxurious bath since then, too.

I might add to this random thought, deciding on pet vs. petted was not easy for this native speaker.
So you did not petted any dogs?
Sounds very strange.
I wonder if this might be one of those "one" vs "zero" type things.

ps. This also reminds me a bit of the "Jesus" thread. Reviewing it, I see that it was quite educational, and fun. :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,137
This is true! There is a house for rent near where I am living but no one has rented it so far and the door is thus locked all the time. The house doesn't have a front yard, so the door and the window are built right at the front gate. At midnight (00:00) I usually walk my dog around my house and this is the third time we've come closer to that house. But when I and my dog stand 4 meters away from its window, I find my dog lifts his head slowly to look at the window that is totally dark inside and all of a sudden he becomes very scared, he rushes and drags me back towards my house. I try to calm him down and look at the window but see nothing although he is still groaning in fear. 3 times he does exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
  • #2,138
I have bought too many clothes over the years and barely thrown out any . And I have ended up with too many clothes to wash all at once , and an uneven distribution of items. This is reflected when I do the laundry: I end up with something like 15 clean pants, 5 clean shirts, 3 clean pairs of socks, etc. I am too lazy to make sure I have a somewhat -even distribution before I do the wash.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,139
My suggestions for easier laundry in an apartment building with a laundry room:

In each floor, put a chute , leading to the laundry room. The material leading to the laundry room will be specially slick, so that clothes don't get stuck. The chute remains open when the laundry is not being used and is closed otherwise. Ideally, you can lay out the laundry room so that the washer is built on top of the dryer, or, even better if you have a combo of washer-dryer machine. Also, add an ejector for when the clothes are clean and dried. Then you wait until the chute is open, slide your clothes down the chute , the machine washes them , then they drop into the dryer and get ejected when they are ready and you just go pick them up. EDIT: Of course we also need a mechanism so that the machine is activated once the clothes slide in. And maybe payment can happen when one goes to pick up the clothes.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,140
WWGD, that is truly professional. :biggrin:

Likes WWGD
  • #2,141
Silicon Waffle said:
WWGD, that is truly professional. :biggrin:
Thanks, ironically, it was my laziness at doing the laundry that led e to do the effort of finding a "solution".

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,143
I bought some sliced turkey breast and, as I was opening the package, was dismayed to see they thought it was necessary to boast it was gluten free.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,144
zoobyshoe said:
I bought some sliced turkey breast and, as I was opening the package, was dismayed to see they thought it was necessary to boast it was gluten free.

Did the sliced turkey have a rainbow?

• #2,145
lisab said:
Did the sliced turkey have a rainbow?
I don't understand. Are you asking if the turkey was LGBT?

• #2,146
zoobyshoe said:
I don't understand. Are you asking if the turkey was LGBT?

Today's random topic word of the day: Rainbow!

Only necessary to watch the first 30 seconds.
Unless of course, you want to make your own.

One of my Facebook friends posted this video this morning.
I was mesmerized.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,148
Test the water before jumping in! Hiker burned, dog dies after leaping into Idaho hot springs

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - A man hiking through a national forest in Idaho suffered severe burns after his two dogs plunged into a hot spring and he jumped into the scalding water to rescue them, managing to save just one of his pets, U.S. Forest Service officials said on Tuesday.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,150
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,151
lisab said:
No - you've never seen a rainbow sheen on industrially sliced turkey or ham?

*google google google*

OK I'm not the only one:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...d_ham_and_beef_shine_with_rainbow_colors.html

It takes a very sharp knife - the kind a deli might use. I've never seen it in home-cooked meat.

'Scuse me, I need to go sharpen my knives :wink:.
From your link:
Dark cooked meat like roast beef and bright cured meat like ham are more likely to show iridescence because the background colors provide a starker contrast to the pearly greens and orangey reds that you’re most likely to see coming off of shiny meats. Turkey and chicken are too pale to showcase such sparkle.

• #2,152
zoobyshoe said:
From your link:

But you're both missing the main issue: why do Deli workers now slice sandwiches halfway (i.e. , with a cut that is parallel to two edges of the sandwich, dividing it into two "rectangles" ) instead of diagonally? I heard the diagonal cut was preferred because it showed more exposed meat than the "halfway" cut , but now I see everyone doing the halfway cut somehow.

• #2,153
WWGD said:
But you're both missing the main issue: why do Deli workers now slice sandwiches halfway (i.e. , with a cut that is parallel to two edges of the sandwich, dividing it into two "rectangles" ) instead of diagonally? I heard the diagonal cut was preferred because it showed more exposed meat than the "halfway" cut , but now I see everyone doing the halfway cut somehow.
Just lazy?

• #2,154
Evo said:
Just lazy?
No. There's a shadow government pulling strings for nefarious purposes behind that particular change.

Likes WWGD, Silicon Waffle and Evo
  • #2,155
Evo said:
Just lazy?

zoobyshoe said:
No. There's a shadow government pulling strings for nefarious purposes behind that particular change.

Why do you both overcomplicate things? Aliens...

• #2,156
WT*?! CBS journalists shot and killed during live broadcast in Virginia!
http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-journalists-shot-killed-live-broadcast-130723506.html

Why do crazy people get access to guns?!

Update: WDBJ journalists Alison Parker, Adam Ward shot and killed during live broadcast; suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound
A pair of television journalists at a CBS affiliate in Virginia were shot and killed during a live broadcast Wednesday morning, and authorities said the shooter, a disgruntled former employee at the station, shot himself after crashing his car on an interstate highway.

Last edited:
Likes PWiz
  • #2,157
Astronuc said:
WT*?! CBS journalists shot and killed during live broadcast in Virginia!
http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-journalists-shot-killed-live-broadcast-130723506.html

That is so senseless and sad. :oldfrown:

Wow. So the killer shot a video of himself gunning the people down and then tweeted it. Twitter suspended his account but there are a bunch of retweets of it. He then sent a 23-page manifesto to an ABC station. He finally shot himself on I-66 as police caught up with him - tracked through his cell phone no doubt.

Last edited:
  • #2,158
Astronuc said:

because getting guns is very very very easy in the USA? And nobody has the balls to make it difficult. Instant vote loser. Voters prefer shooting on an industrial scale to gun control

• #2,159
"Project Afterlife" could benefit from a scientifically-trained skeptic.

• #2,160
Ugh.
I have to go crabbing now.
Not sure when I'll be back.
Ciao!

• #2,161
I got one of those sleasy "free vacation" letters that are just bait for a time share.
This one was rather bulky though and it had one of these in it.
code%20key_small.jpg

You pull the tab and it allows a battery to connect to a small LED to light up your "winning numbers" which miraculously matched the numbers under a scratch off on the letter.

Of course, when you send something like that to an engineer like me, it just gets disassembled for parts. :oldtongue:

Likes dlgoff and WWGD
  • #2,162
I finally have a theory. I had been noticing that the iced drinks I bought where uniformly iced, while the ones I did at home, using an ice tray, were not so. The ice used in most places is cut into small, uniformly-sized little cubes, while my ice tray produces large, irregular cubes. I believe that small pieces of ice do not allow for large amounts of drink to be far from the ice, because these parts cover the cup. OTOH, large, irregular pieces allow for large amounts of space in the cup without ice. Like building or tiling a wall with uniformly-sized bricks on one hand, and with irregularly-sized pieces OTOH. The irregular, large shapes will leave large gaps, while small -regular ones will not.

Last edited:
  • #2,163
Enigman said:
Its about a brain surgeon who's out to kill a psychopath he saved. You will find plenty of intellectual and moral challenges.
It's safe to say that I'm hooked to it right now :P

• #2,164
I decided to go for a run today after months of inactivity, and mid-track received one of the most unpleasant itching breakouts I've ever had. I googled it, and turns out it happens to quite a few people who lace up after long breaks. Seems like its a good motivation to keep me on my feet :biggrin:

• #2,165
PWiz said:
I <Snip>. Seems like its a good motivation to keep me on my feet :biggrin:

Together with the brutal day-after soreness.

Likes PWiz and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,166
:oldsmile:Never give it up.

Likes PWiz
  • #2,167
Silicon Waffle said:
:oldsmile:Never give it up.
Cue.

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,168
Or...(slightly different )

• #2,169
I guess one should be careful when breaking the word "therapist" mid-word in a paragraph. This is how it came up when I was reading an article :... the - rapist.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,170
Boy, 13, Keeps Father Alive After He's Badly Hurt by Falling Boulder
https://gma.yahoo.com/boy-13-keeps-father-alive-hes-badly-hurt-015703541--abc-news-topstories.html

For a little more than two days, the eighth-grade Boy Scout kept his dad calm and hydrated. He cleaned and dressed Finlayson's wounds and brought food, water and sleeping bags to his father to keep him warm. At times, he walked around the lake, desperately looking for help.

"He was my savior," Finlayson told the Idaho Statesman. "He kept talking to me all night."

Two days after falling, his father sent him on a 13-mile hiking mission to find help. Charlie Finlayson carried a note, explaining what had happened and how to find his father.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle