Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,541
Psinter said:
I am very sorry guys, but I have to correct. I saw the error and the server is not run by company x. Just the software that generated the error. And there was no mention of hackers anywhere.
Here's the hacker mention:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/greg-bernhardt.859732/
I found this thread creepy, and wonder what the hell kind of PM Rosenberry received. It certainly beats the Two Towers conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,542
zoobyshoe said:
Here's the hacker mention:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/greg-bernhardt.859732/
I found this thread creepy, and wonder what the hell kind of PM Rosenberry received. It certainly beats the Two Towers conspiracy.
I assume it wasn't a PM. The weird messages were in the Alerts list as new threads, six identical I think which have been quickly deleted.
I was simply thinking what kind of idiot this must have been. You could see from the title that it was pure crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,543
fresh_42 said:
I assume it wasn't a PM. The weird messages were in the Alerts list as new threads, six identical I think which have been quickly deleted.
I was simply thinking what kind of idiot this must have been. You could see from the title that it was pure crap.
Ah! I misunderstood it to have been an alert about a PM because Berkeman asked to be included in the conversation to nab the perp.

• #1,544
zoobyshoe said:
Ah! I misunderstood it to have been an alert about a PM because Berkeman asked to be included in the conversation to nab the perp.
Yes, he said PM but I don't think it was because I had those 6 similar ones in the Alert list at the time.

• #1,545
fresh_42 said:
Yes, he said PM but I don't think it was because I had those 6 similar ones in the Alert list at the time.
OK. Anyway, Berkeman said they were dealing with hackers, so that's where that came from.

• #1,546
Tomorrow's LEAP DAY!

• #1,547
zoobyshoe said:
Tomorrow's LEAP DAY!
Isn't there one every date that is divisible by 16, or is it every 4 years? Never mind, it is every 4 years.

• #1,548
zoobyshoe said:
Tomorrow's LEAP DAY!
What is that? :confused:

• #1,549
Psinter said:
What is that? :confused:
The "extra" day in a leap year. An informal term, I think.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,550
Babies born on Feb. 29th will not have their first birthday for four years.

• #1,551
I ve just learned a new term "to be a shepard of cats". Used by a local politician who doesn't want to lead a coalition of uncontrollable and always arguing parties as a potential prime minister.
Just imagine trying to control a group of cats! That would be a great meme. :-D

• #1,552
Ibix said:
The "extra" day in a leap year. An informal term, I think.
Thanks.

As a side random thought, sometimes I feel the emoticons here are not enough to express my feelings. So I made one. Behold my very own artistic creation! The (-.-) emoticon:

NEkgYws.png

Emoticon made 100% by me! You can use it in the forum. The link is: http://imgur.com/NEkgYws

...Yeah, I should probably stick to computers and programming...

• #1,553
Psinter said:
...Yeah, I should probably stick to computers and programming...
Noo, everyone I think should be learning about the art of web surfing. You too. Only magicians know how. :biggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,554
Someone please say something so I can use my emoticon like this:
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png

The other day we were talking about the Almighty Leader of the Rings weren't we?

cool-cartoon-wedding-priest-book-LotR.jpg

• #1,555
Psinter said:
Someone please say something so I can use my emoticon like this:
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
NEkgYws.png
OK psinter, what do you look like when you mediate?

Likes Ibix
  • #1,556
Sophia said:
OK psinter, what do you look like when you mediate?
NEkgYws.png

Likes Sophia
  • #1,557
Psinter said:
NEkgYws.png
you're the Lord of the Meditation

Likes Psinter
  • #1,558
Sophia said:
you're the Lord of the Meditation
:biggrin:

• #1,559
Will we eventually run out of faces in our world population? I mean, consider two faces equal if individual eye, mouth, width etc. dimensions are each within, say, 1/4' of each other or less. We are 7 billion now, will the faces start eventually repeating?

• #1,560
WWGD said:
Will we eventually run out of faces in our world population? I mean, consider two faces equal if individual eye, mouth, width etc. dimensions are each within, say, 1/4' of each other or less. We are 7 billion now, will the faces start eventually repeating?
A set of conditions to detect how both faces are equal will always be established in advance but to process a large of data input seems in-feasible so feature extraction i.e KPCA linearization is probably the way to go.

• #1,561
Silicon Waffle said:
A set of conditions to detect how both faces are equal will always be established in advance but to process a large of data input seems in-feasible so feature extraction i.e KPCA linearization is probably the way to go.
Do you know of algorithms for detecting moving objects? I want to put a set of cameras on my room with night vision and precise movement detection so that when something that is not me moves, the camera triggers an alarm to let me know that there's probably a spider in my room. Then I wake up, check the recordings and what triggered the alarm. I need to protect myself from spiders and that's the system I'm thinking of implementing. Then when someone asks me: "Why do you have so many cameras on your room?" I tell them: "It's classified."

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,562
WWGD said:
They already have. Haven't you seen those things where people have found their exact double?

Likes Psinter
  • #1,563
Psinter said:
Do you know of algorithms for detecting moving objects? I want to put a set of cameras on my room with night vision and precise movement detection so that when something that is not me moves, the camera triggers an alarm to let me know that there's probably a spider in my room. Then I wake up, check the recordings and what triggered the alarm. I need to protect myself from spiders and that's the system I'm thinking of implementing. Then when someone asks me: "Why do you have so many cameras on your room?" I tell them: "It's classified."
Oh with such requirements, you will have more to lose than to gain then because what you need is actually a good insect repellent. :DD

Likes Psinter
  • #1,564
Silicon Waffle said:
Oh with such requirements, you will have more to lose than to gain then because what you need is actually a good insect repellent. :DD
:smile: Perhaps, but I wanted to go technologically, not chemically.
You have 200! :partytime:
zoobyshoe said:
They already have. Haven't you seen those things where people have found their exact double?
I haven't seen them. :nb)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,565
Psinter said:
:smile: Perhaps, but I wanted to go technologically, not chemically.
Sorry I don't know any that can detect a "mosquito" or a "fly" in a room :DD.
But surveillance cameras can utilize this LOTS, for example.
You have 200! :partytime:
Most of them are your likes :DD. Thanks Psinter!

Last edited:
  • #1,566
WWGD said:
Isn't there one every date that is divisible by 16, or is it every 4 years? Never mind, it is every 4 years.
Every 4 but not on a 100 except on a 400 :cool:
Did you know that the 13th of every month is more often a friday than any other weekday?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,567
Horrible, the whole team couldn't defeat a magician. :biggrin: weeweee

Likes Psinter
  • #1,568
Silicon Waffle said:
Most of them are your likes :DD. Thanks Psinter!
You deserve them. You are funny and I like your posts. :smile:
fresh_42 said:
Did you know that the 13th of every month is more often a friday than any other weekday?
Nope, but now I do. :-p

You know, one place I've always wanted to go is Germany. There is one forest there that I want to visit, but I don't know it's name. I was told it was an astonishingly awesome forest. But I was only given a simple description that is not enough for me to identify it.

• #1,569
Psinter said:
You know, one place I've always wanted to go is Germany. There is one forest there that I want to visit, but I don't know it's name. I was told it was an astonishingly awesome forest. But I was only given a simple description that is not enough for me to identify it.
With roughly one third of the country being forest it's hard to tell. In some places they try to leave the forest as it is without human manipulations.

• #1,570
Silicon Waffle said:
Horrible, the whole team couldn't defeat a magician. :biggrin: weeweee
You see? This is funny. :DD

I sure hope the time never comes when I miss you... Nah, I'm sure I'm going to miss you yes or yes if the time ever comes when I cannot chat with you. But don't worry, I have everything 0.0000000001% controlled. :oldlaugh:

But if I can't chat with you I'll remember the times you made me laugh.
*Telepathic high five for you* :oldwink:

• #1,571
fresh_42 said:
With roughly one third of the country being forest it's hard to tell. In some places they try to leave the forest as it is without human manipulations.
I know. Precisely. :frown:

• #1,572
Psinter said:
I know. Precisely. :frown:
Could it be area on the border near Czech Šumava national park? There are mountains like Alteklause and Resbachklause (this is most certainly wrong spelling. I think I never saw those names written down, it is just my memory of words I heard 5 years ago). They are famous because they leave the nature to evolve without any intervention. They didn't try to "save it" after natural disaster and now it can be used by scientists to observe uninterrupted natural mechanisms. It's very beautiful indeed.
There are hundreds of trees fallen down after strong winds and damaged by insects but below them, many young trees are growing and you can already see a promise of a healthy future forest. Meanwhile, the old rotten trees serve as a habitat for various kinds of animals and plants and they also create the right microclimate for the young ones.
It's evolution in real time.

• #1,573
zoobyshoe said:
My Dad apparently had one. Two or three times over the years he had colleagues come into his work saying that they'd hailed him in the street, only to find that it was some poor confused chap who just looked exactly like my Dad. They never met, though.

• #1,574
Ibix said:
My Dad apparently had one. Two or three times over the years he had colleagues come into his work saying that they'd hailed him in the street, only to find that it was some poor confused chap who just looked exactly like my Dad. They never met, though.
It's a freaky thing. I have never met a double, but I have run across pictures of guys who look exactly like me a couple times.

There have also been a lot of articles like this in the past couple years:

http://www.viralnova.com/doppelganger-party/

• #1,575
fresh_42 said:
Every 4 but not on a 100 except on a 400 :cool:
How much more so?