Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,646
I've been meaning to teach myself python one of these days. Today, I googled "learn python in 5 minutes" and got back a YouTube video with the same name that was over 7 1/2 minutes long. I'm not sure about learning from someone who can't tell time. o_O

Likes Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
Sophia said:
It Is funny when you're 28 and a man who is 50+ calls you "auntie"
Time for my first face-lift!
I would slap his face with my right glove and challenge him to a duel, this clearly an intolerable insult to a young lady.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,648
Borg said:
I've been meaning to teach myself python one of these days. Today, I googled "learn python in 5 minutes" and got back a YouTube video with the same name that was over 7 1/2 minutes long. I'm not sure about learning from someone who can't tell time. o_O
You learn in five minutes. The other 2.5 minutes are advertising and self-congratulation. (That''s my guess, anyway)

• #1,649
I needed a one penny washer to finish a job, i searched the house an garage for one but no luck, in the end i drilled a hole in a one penny piece and it did the job admirably:cool:.

• #1,650
wolram said:
I needed a one penny washer to finish a job, i searched the house an garage for one but no luck, in the end i drilled a hole in a one penny piece and it did the job admirably:cool:.

Probably that's illegal, I know it is over here.

Fun-fact, at some moment in time you could earn more by melting down certain coins.
It is illegal to destroy currency though.

• #1,651
JorisL said:
Probably that's illegal, I know it is over here.

Fun-fact, at some moment in time you could earn more by melting down certain coins.
It's the name of a washer that's about the size of a penny. I doubt that he is drilling holes in pennies.

• #1,652
When I tell someone: Listen to this song!

PS4AM8g.gif

• #1,653
JorisL said:
What's illegal is to deface coins with the intent to defraud. With paper money it's illegal to render it unfit to be re-issued by the treasury. I don't think it's illegal to turn a coin into a washer.

The process of creating elongated coins is legal in the United States, almost all parts of Japan, South Africa and parts ofEurope. In the United States, U.S. Code Title 18, Chapter 17, Section 331 prohibits "the mutilation, diminution and falsification of United States coinage." The foregoing statute, however, does not prohibit the mutilation of coins, if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently, i.e., with the intention of creating counterfeit coinage or profiting from the base metal (the pre-1982 copper U.S. cent which, as of 2010, is worth more than one cent in the United States).[7] Because elongated coins are made mainly as souvenirs, mutilation for this purpose is legal.

In the UK, the Coinage Offences Act 1936 prohibited the defacement of any current coins. This was repealed in its entirety by the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, thus removing the prohibition on coin defacement.

In countries where such mutilation is illegal, such as Canada, blank planchets, slugs, or U.S. cents are occasionally used, though this law is often ignored both by the users of the machine and law enforcement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongated_coin

• #1,654
Don't forget about your lemons, Zooby.

• #1,655
lisab said:
Don't forget about your lemons, Zooby.
That lead me on a train of thought; I don't think I've ever heard of anyone making lemon wine, or any lemon based alcoholic drink.

• #1,656
zoobyshoe said:
That lead me on a train of thought; I don't think I've ever heard of anyone making lemon wine, or any lemon based alcoholic drink.
You haven't heard of Lemoncello?

• #1,657
zoobyshoe said:

d9fea20bc3e1d55c1333c4aad28e6b44deb9e10d_fveEDnu.jpg

• #1,658
zoobyshoe said:

I know that this is not a proper beer but they are very popular
Radler.jpg

and what about tequilla http://thelongdryroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tequila.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,659
zoobyshoe said:
Vodka and lemonade? Or is that cheating?

• #1,660
Ibix said:
Vodka and lemonade? Or is that cheating?

I think Zooby may have been referring to an alcohol fermented from lemons, in which case my Bacardi Limon might not qualify, since I think the lemon is an additive. However, I think the Lemoncello you mentioned does qualify. Does it not?

"Traditionally, it is made from the zest of Femminello St. Teresa lemons, also known as Sorrento or Sfusato lemons.[3][4] Lemon zest, or peels without the pith, is steeped in rectified spirit until the oil is released. The resulting yellow liquid is then mixed with simple syrup. Varying the sugar-to-water ratio and the temperature affects the clarity, viscosity, and flavor. Opaque limoncellos are the result of spontaneous emulsification (otherwise known as the ouzo effect) of the sugar syrup and extracted lemon oils."

• #1,661
Borg mentioned lemoncello. He hasn't assimilated me yet.

• #1,662
Ibix said:

Sorry, Ibix, I seem to get you and Borg mixed up for some reason :redface: Not really, though. Just trying to cover my flub.

• #1,663
Ibix said:
It would be futile to resist. :oldcool:

• #1,664
Borg said:
It would be futile to resist. :oldcool:
I resist lemoncello easily. Now if the collective offered single malt...

Edit: ...they'd have me all pale and pasty and feeling like someone had stuck bits of metal in my head in short order.

• #1,665
Ibix said:
Edit: ...they'd have me all pale and pasty and feeling like someone had stuck bits of metal in my head in short order.
Those are just to help you to enjoy the experience. :oldwink:

Likes Ibix
  • #1,666
DiracPool said:
I think Zooby may have been referring to an alcohol fermented from lemons...
That's what I meant.

• #1,667
:frown:

• #1,668
Silicon Waffle said:
why :frown: ?

• #1,670
DiracPool said:
Sorry, Ibix, I seem to get you and Borg mixed up for some reason
I get ibix mixed up with ibex.

• #1,671
zoobyshoe said:
I get ibix mixed up with ibex.
It really gets my goat when people do that.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #1,672
Silicon Waffle said:
What happened?

image.png

004_charmander_by_geegeet-d4n90e3.gif

Source

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/6a8/3fa/cd1/resized/cheer-up-meme-generator-don-t-be-sad-every-thing-will-work-out-13f850.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,673
Psinter said:
What happened?

image.png

004_charmander_by_geegeet-d4n90e3.gif

Source

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/6a8/3fa/cd1/resized/cheer-up-meme-generator-don-t-be-sad-every-thing-will-work-out-13f850.jpg
They look soooooooooo cute :biggrin:.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,674
  • #1,675
Psinter said:
@zoobyshoe - The lemons, don't forget them. :smile:
If I make lemon wine, will you drink it?

• #1,676
zoobyshoe said:
If I make lemon wine, will you drink it?
I don't know, I don't drink alcohol :sorry:. Perhaps one day I will try drinking, but I feel a little reluctant. Because I like you, maybe... although I have my doubts on whether I should.

That reminds me of something I read on the internet once about many ways of saying no. One of them said something along these lines:
I'm on fire for the idea, but the execution leaves me icy.
:oldlaugh:

I have never had the chance to use it in real life though. :olduhh:

• #1,677
Psinter said:
I don't know, I don't drink alcohol :sorry:. Perhaps one day I will try drinking, but I feel a little reluctant. Because I like you, maybe... although I have my doubts on whether I should.

That reminds me of something I read on the internet once about many ways of saying no. One of them said something along these lines:

:oldlaugh:

I have never had the chance to use it in real life though. :olduhh:
I don't drink either, but if I did, I wouldn't touch any wine I made myself with a ten foot pole.

Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #1,678
zoobyshoe said:
I don't drink either, but if I did, I wouldn't touch any wine I made myself with a ten foot pole.
:DD Okay, we are two now then.

• #1,679
Psinter said:
:DD Okay, we are two now then.
We are two now now. Not then.

• #1,680
zoobyshoe said:
We are two now now. Not then.
You see? I don't like you anymore. Unfriended.

I'm just kidding. :-p