What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,246
WWGD said:
Cant you just R-click on their page to view the source?
That doesn't show me the decision, the location where the correction took place. What changed a wrong spelled male Italian name from the email address into a correct French / English / German female name in the letter? And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,247
fresh_42 said:
That doesn't show me the decision, the location where the correction took place. What changed a wrong spelled male Italian name from the email address into a correct French / English / German female name in the letter? And why?
Of course, I meant do some forward/reverse engineering and testing. But maybe youre not that interested to put all that effort.

• #7,248
WWGD said:
Of course, I meant do some forward/reverse engineering and testing. But maybe youre not that interested to put all that effort.
The interesting part is the following. We are at the beginning of the AI era, and the example shows how easy current systems could be outwit. A small margin of inaccuracies (missing IP check during my visit on a Californian website, one false letter in a name, ignoring the fact that .com isn't exclusively American) led to completely wrong conclusions. I expect massive improvements in the years coming.

Or will improvements be too expensive? They probably send thousands of such emails and don't expect more than, say a dozen of them that do not end up in the bin.

Google is better at this from my experience.

• #7,249
fresh_42 said:
The interesting part is the following. We are at the beginning of the AI era, and the example shows how easy current systems could be outwit. A small margin of inaccuracies (missing IP check during my visit on a Californian website, one false letter in a name, ignoring the fact that .com isn't exclusively American) led to completely wrong conclusions. I expect massive improvements in the years coming.

Or will improvements be too expensive? They probably send thousands of such emails and don't expect more than, say a dozen of them that do not end up in the bin.

Google is better at this from my experience.
I guess then a lack of robustness? All I can tell is Microsoft's outlook does not seem to train its spam catcher even given the free input it gets ( when people move data from Inbox to Spam/trash or the other way around). I have seen the false positives, negatives repeated for years.

• #7,250
Most quickly recognized music plays: (#3: 4 notes, #2: 3 notes, #1: 1 note)

1623864317149.png

Anybody guess?

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27
  • #7,251
Beethoven's Fifth
Also Sprach Zarathustra
The Chain

• #7,252
Ibix said:
Beethoven's Fifth
Also Sprach Zarathustra
The Chain
The first is correct. The second is only a third of the total riff, but if played staccato it should be sufficient. Everybody knows it, Zarathustra rather less. The same goes for the third. I would have chosen c' flat instead, but couldn't find a note sheet that properly starts with that ... (hint) flute!

• #7,253
Smoke on the Water, then. Dunno about the third one.

Likes fresh_42
  • #7,254
Ravel's Bolero, maybe? Is that usually played on a flute? Don't remember.

• #7,255
Ibix said:
Ravel's Bolero, maybe? Is that usually played on a flute? Don't remember.
I think Bolero wouldn't start on c' (flat). It is probably a western concert flute, but an Irish flute or even tin whistle (R.I.P. Micho) would do. You know it when you hear it. As it is only one note, it is a bit difficult to recognize unheard. The song has lyrics that start a bit later, but if you search the internet for the notes, the starting whistle is hard to find.

• #7,256
Ibix said:
Also Sprach Zarathustra
By the way, you ain't heard nuthin' until you've heard Also Sprach Zarathustra on massed kazoos.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #7,257
Ibix said:
By the way, you ain't heard nuthin' until you've heard Also Sprach Zarathustra on massed kazoos.

And you thought Zarathustra and kazoos would have been warning enough? Richard Strauss isn't easy to digest.

Likes Ibix
  • #7,258
I managed to extract the tune into a 248k file, but an upload seems impossible.

• #7,259
I see same guy, now daily wearing his bike helmet. I ask: Ah, biking to work now? He answers: " No, why?".
?

• #7,260
fresh_42 said:
Most quickly recognized music plays: (#3: 4 notes, #2: 3 notes, #1: 1 note)

View attachment 284553

Anybody guess?
La Cucaracha?

• #7,261
WWGD said:
La Cucaracha?
No, not a Spanish folk song, but a Caribbean folk song.

• #7,262
fresh_42 said:
No, not a Spanish folk song, but a Caribbean folk song.
Tally me Banana?

• #7,263
WWGD said:
Tally me Banana?
I knew that "Caribbean" wasn't a hint, 'cause most people don't know (although the Bahamas are part of the lyrics). And maybe it is a triangle that was used for that long high tone. Well, at least I always want to sing along whenever I only hear that single (high) tone.

• #7,264
fresh_42 said:
I knew that "Caribbean" wasn't a hint, 'cause most people don't know (although the Bahamas are part of the lyrics). And maybe it is a triangle that was used for that long high tone. Well, at least I always want to sing along whenever I only hear that single (high) tone.
Triangle? Maybe Harry " Pythagoras" Belafonte?

• #7,265
WWGD said:
Triangle? Maybe Harry " Pythagoras" Belafonte?
The band has been founded in California.

• #7,266
Supertramp Long Way Home ? ... wrong note and wrong octave, but the other ones were messed up, as well. (B5 is in 2/2 not 4/4 ; Smoke's off by an octave)

• #7,267
hmmm27 said:
Supertramp Long Way Home ? ... wrong note and wrong octave, but the other ones were messed up, as well. (B5 is in 2/2 not 4/4 ; Smoke's off by an octave)
Good note sheets are hard to find, and usually, also depend on the instrument. Could be that I erased the missing octave because it was hard to see on the screenshot.

And the Bahamas already occur in line 3. Long Way Home isn't a folk song.

• #7,268
Beach Boys, Kokomo?

• #7,269
Jarvis323 said:
Beach Boys, Kokomo?
It doesn't start with a full note.

• #7,270
Delete the extension before listening.

Attachments

• Tone.wav.webp
    406.4 KB · Views: 66
  • #7,271
The original Star Trek theme...?

• #7,272
Jarvis323 said:
Beach Boys, Kokomo?
... and nobody dares to link the cover version!

• #7,273
I don't understand why people regularly complain that we do not discuss their personal speculations. We have a science fiction forum!

• #7,274
WWGD said:
wearing his bike helmet
Could be like this:
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/running-with-my-fear

Likes WWGD
  • #7,275
Keith_McClary said:
Could be like this:
Thank you. Thought maybe it was a new fashion and , as usual, I was out of the loop. These Z kids today wearing #$% helmets. Fake aside: that's why Germany's former PM, Helmet Kohl got his name.

Last edited:
  • #7,276
I know it sounds like nonsense but exporting data from X to Y does not always come out the same is importing in Y from X. Kind of large difference when using SQL, Excel.

• #7,277
The old Excel looks-like-a-date bug?

• #7,278
Ibix said:
The old Excel looks-like-a-date bug?
Precisely. At least my 2007-10 version. Opposite direction with SQL Server Wizard exporting was, has been all along, much easier.

• #7,279
Mr Grichik: Maybe best not to name your daughter ' Ann(e)'

• #7,280
so, @fresh_42 : Any update on your musical query?