1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Rotation of a Pendulum

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rate of rotation for a pendulum was found for the following locations. Using these data, derive a formula for calculating the rate of rotation for a pendulum at sea level for any location on Earth.
    • North Pole = 3600/24 Hr
    • Smithsonian, Washington, D.C. = 2260/24 Hr
    • Equator = 00 /24 Hr
    • California Academy of Sciences (370 46.2’) = 220.50/24 Hr

2. Relevant equations
    n= (360)(sin theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My teacher said we could use Graphical Analysis, but I don't know why I should use that. Should I try finding the rate of rotation for each location?

The data from question # 1 indicates that no rotation occurs at the equator. This suggests two models to explain pendulum motion rotation. Explain and diagram each model. Explain how each model can be verified from its visual frame of reference.

2. Relevant equations

3. Explain and show mathematically that a simple pendulum exhibits simple harmonic motion.

2. Relevant equations
    Is there an equation I can use to figure this out?

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Kee

The only obvious difference between these different locations is their latitude.

So, as suggested by your teacher, plot latitude (0° to 90°) along the X axis of a graph and rotational frequency (0 to 3600) on the Y axis. Put in to the four data points and see whether you get a straight line or a curve.

If it's a straight line, bingo, it's a linear dependence on latitude and you should be able to formulate an expression for that quite easily. If it's not a straight line then we'll have to check for dependence on the latitude angle in terms of trigonometic functions (sin,cos,tan,etc..)

BTW are you sure your numbers are correct - 2260 and 220.5 ?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    Sorry it's 226 and 220.5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook