How Much Energy Does a Refrigerator Use in a Single Day?

In summary, the conversation discusses a freezer with a coefficient of performance of 6.30 and an advertised electricity rate of 457kWh/yr. The question asks for the average energy used in a single day and the maximum mass of water that can be frozen in a day. After some discussion and confusion about unit conversions, the correct answer of 4.5 x 10^6 Joules is determined.
fiziks09

Homework Statement

A freezer has a coefficient of performance of 6.30. It is advertised as using electricity at a rate of 457kWh/yr.
a)On average how much energy does it use in a single day?
b) What maximum mass of water at 20.0 degree celsius could the freezer freeze in a single day.

NOTE: One kilowatt hour is an amount of energy equal to running a 1-kW appliance for one hour

Homework Equations

COP = Q / W

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use comparison like so;

if 457kWh is the rate for 365 days
then xkWh is the rate for 1 day

This gives me 1.25 J which is very wrong.

Please can i get clues on how to start or what to do on the "A" part of the question. It's really twisting my head..thanks a lot for your help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fiziks09! :smile:

What you have is 1.25 kWh, which is 1250 Watt times 1 hour.
This is not 1.25 J, which is 1.25 Watt times 1 second.

You'll need to convert the unit...

okay..
but converting the unit still gives a wrong answer...

How did you convert it?

okay i might have misunderstood. I'm so sorry..what conversion is being made?
is it from kWh to Joules or what? if so how so??

Allright i got it now..
since 1kWh = 3.6MJ (which is 3600000J)

1.25kWh X 36000000 = 4.5 X 10^6 Joules..

thanks for the help...

Good! :smile:

What is a refrigerator and how does it work?

A refrigerator is a device that uses electricity to transfer heat from inside the fridge to the outside, keeping the inside cool. This is done by circulating a refrigerant, which absorbs heat as it turns into a gas and releases heat as it turns back into a liquid.

What is the difference between a refrigerator and a heat pump?

A refrigerator and a heat pump both use the same cooling technology, but the main difference is in their purpose. A refrigerator is designed to keep the inside cool, while a heat pump is designed to transfer heat from one location to another. Heat pumps can be used for both cooling and heating purposes.

How energy efficient are refrigerators and heat pumps?

Refrigerators and heat pumps are generally considered to be very energy efficient, especially compared to other cooling and heating methods. However, their efficiency can vary depending on the model, maintenance, and usage. It is important to choose an energy-efficient model and properly maintain it to maximize efficiency.

Do refrigerators and heat pumps harm the environment?

Refrigerators and heat pumps can harm the environment if they use refrigerants that contribute to ozone depletion or contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. However, many modern refrigerators and heat pumps use more environmentally friendly refrigerants such as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) or natural refrigerants like carbon dioxide or ammonia.

What are the main considerations when choosing a refrigerator or heat pump?

When choosing a refrigerator or heat pump, it is important to consider the size and capacity needed, energy efficiency, cost, and environmental impact. It is also important to properly maintain and use the appliance to ensure maximum efficiency and longevity.