Relativistic Time Dilation and Length Contraction in Overtaking Rockets

In summary: Good job.In summary, two rockets, A and B, are moving in the same direction at different velocities. According to the crew on B, it takes 1.67 * 10-5 seconds for A to completely pass B. The crew on A would measure the same time interval due to symmetry.
little neutrino

Homework Statement

Two rockets are each 1000m long in their rest frames. Rocket A, traveling at 0.800c relative to the earth, is overtaking Rocket B, which is moving in the same direction at 0.600c.

(i) According to the crew on B, how long does A take to completely pass? I.e. how long is it from the instant the nose of A is at the tail of B until the tail of A is at the nose of B?
(ii) Would the crew of A measure the same time interval according to their clocks? If so, explain why. If not, what is the time interval measured by the crew of A?

Homework Equations

l = l0/γ --- Eqn 1
v = (v' + u)/(1 + uv'/c2) --- Eqn 2

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Using Eqn 2, A is moving 0.384c relative to B.
Using Eqn 1, length contracted A from B's perspective = 0.923l0
From B's perspective, B is stationary, and A is moving past at 0.384c.
Time taken = (1+0.923)l0/0.384c = 1.67 * 10-5 s
Is this correct?

(ii) I am not sure, but I think the crew would measure the same time interval because of symmetry...??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers to both parts appear to me to be correct (including the symmetry argument). Since you are not confident of (ii), try working it out with the same type of reasoning as (i).

Likes little neutrino
TSny said:
Your answers to both parts appear to me to be correct (including the symmetry argument). Since you are not confident of (ii), try working it out with the same type of reasoning as (i).

Hmm I thought it would be symmetrical because according to the crew of A, A is stationary and B is moving at -0.384c relative to A. Thus the length of B is contracted to 0.923l0. So time taken for B to pass A is (1+0.923)l0/0.384c = 1.67 * 10-5, which is the same as (i). Is this correct?

Yes. Exactly.

Likes little neutrino

1. What is the concept of relativity of simultaneity?

The relativity of simultaneity is a concept in physics that states that the perception of time and simultaneous events is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the relativity of simultaneity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, explains the relativity of simultaneity through the concept of time dilation. According to this theory, time is not absolute and can vary depending on the relative speeds of observers. This means that two observers moving at different speeds will experience time differently, resulting in a difference in their perception of simultaneous events.

3. Can the relativity of simultaneity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the relativity of simultaneity can be observed in everyday life. One example is the time difference experienced by astronauts in space compared to people on Earth. Due to their high speeds, astronauts experience time dilation and perceive time to be slower than it is on Earth. This means that events that are simultaneous to people on Earth may not be simultaneous to astronauts in space.

4. What implications does the relativity of simultaneity have on our understanding of time and space?

The relativity of simultaneity challenges our traditional understanding of time and space as absolute and constant. It suggests that they are relative concepts that can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This has significant implications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and philosophy, and has led to the development of new theories and concepts.

5. How is the relativity of simultaneity tested and verified?

The relativity of simultaneity has been tested and verified through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. These experiments have shown that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference, supporting the principles of the theory of relativity and the relativity of simultaneity.