Finding u and v for a Moving Rocket: Applying the Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the conversation was about finding the values of u and v in a problem involving the Lorentz Transform. The participants discussed using the Lorentz Transform to set up equations between event coordinates in different frames, and the use of symmetry in solving the problem. The solution was found by using the Lorentz Transform to find the values of x and t in one frame, and using the given coordinates to solve for the unknowns. The conversation also included a discussion on the assumption of symmetry and the need for proper notation in solving the problem.
rashida564
q.PNG

we are asked to find u and v. I thought by listing the known I can proceed to solve the question, but got no idea where I should start solving the question from.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Lorentz Transform?

yeah, very familiar. But not sure if I can apply them here, and how can I apply them science there's an acceleration, (the rocket changed it's direction)

rashida564 said:
yeah, very familiar. But not sure if I can apply them here, and how can I apply them science there's an acceleration, (the rocket changed it's direction)
The acceleration of the rocket is irrelevant, and taken to be instant, else the problem is intederminate. Further both S and S’ are inertial frames. No ‘frame’ that turns with the rocket is proposed. Note, I assume v is the relative speed of S and S’. Your excerpt only defined u not v.

Can you solve it now?

I am thinking of calculating the invariant for space time both situations. By drawing two space-time diagram. one in S' and the other in S.
The one in S'. Δs'=2√x^2+c where x=ut', and for the other frame. ΔS=sqrt(1/25+t1'^2)+sqrt(17.64+t2'^2).
But got no idea what should I do next

rashida564 said:
I am thinking of calculating the invariant for space time both situations. By drawing two space-time diagram. one in S' and the other in S.
The one in S'. Δs'=2√x^2+c where x=ut', and for the other frame. ΔS=sqrt(1/25+t1'^2)+sqrt(17.64+t2'^2).
But got no idea what should I do next
As @Mister T suggested in post #2, you should use the Lorentz transform to set up equations between event coordinates you know in S' and event coordinates you partially know in S. This will give you the ability to solve for u and v. Invariants, in this case, are not useful because they leave you with too many unknowns, and there aren't enough of them. You are given coordinate information, so that is what you must exploit.

Last edited:
Can someone gives me hit to which events, I should apply this formula

The rocket turnaround event, and the rocket arrival at S' origin after turnaround.

I tried to solve to get the time. I now the coordinates of returning point in S'. Since it took one year to get there in S', then by symmetry it will take one more year to return. So I got coordinates of (0,2) in S' and S:(4,x). I solved using Lorentz transformation to get x=2 gamma. But got no idea what should I do next

rashida564 said:
Since it took one year to get there in S', then by symmetry it will take one more year to return.
Assuming the return speed is the same!

Can you show us the work you did in applying the Lorentz transform equations?

Mister T said:
Assuming the return speed is the same!

Can you show us the work you did in applying the Lorentz transform equations?
won't the speed be the same in S'.
t=γ (t'+vx'/c^2)
So x' for the last point will be zero(it returned to the origin)
t' will be 2 by symmetry, since it will have the same speed in the frame
so t=γ t'=2γ

rashida564 said:
t=γ (t'+vx'/c^2)
so t=γ t'=2γ
Yes, you have to assume symmetry in S’, else you don’t have enough info. But why not use the Lorentz transform for x instead of t, since you are given x values in S, not t values. Otherwise you are on right track. Can you give the S’ coordinates of the turnaround, in terms of u? This will be the other thing you need.

rashida564 said:
t=γ (t'+vx'/c^2)
so t=γ t'=2γ

Although the question is not clear on this, I think you must assume that the rocket travels at the same speed, ##u##, in frame ##S'## for both the outward and return journeys.

I suggest you need to define some notation for this. For eaxmple:

Let the turaround event be defined by ##t'_1, x'_1## in frame ##S'## and by ##t_1, x_1## in frame ##S##.

Let the return event be defined by ##t'_2, x'_2## and ##t_2, x_2## respectively.

Now, you fill in what you know about these values and use the Lorentz Transfomation to find ##u, v##.

Likes rashida564

Related to Finding u and v for a Moving Rocket: Applying the Lorentz Transformation

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It consists of two theories: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. How does the theory of relativity apply to a moving rocket?

The theory of relativity applies to a moving rocket by explaining how time and space are affected by its speed and acceleration. As the rocket moves at high speeds, time slows down and objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

The special theory of relativity deals with objects moving at a constant speed in a straight line, while the general theory of relativity includes the effects of gravity on objects in motion. General relativity also explains the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects like planets and stars.

4. How does the relativity of a moving rocket affect space exploration?

The relativity of a moving rocket affects space exploration by allowing scientists to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction on spacecrafts traveling at high speeds. This is crucial for accurate navigation and communication in space missions.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven by experiments?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been proven by numerous experiments and observations. For example, the famous Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887 showed that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference, supporting Einstein's theory of special relativity.