Repulsive and Attractive Forces that influence chemical bonds?

In summary: This is a question about chemical bonds. Two types of attractive and two types of repulsive forces are mentioned. The attractive forces are Van der Waals forces (they are attractive right?) and dipole-dipole forces, etc. The repulsive forces are the negative electron clouds of two different atoms and the positive nuclei of two different atoms.
berry2
Hi! This is a homework question that I'm supposed to answer but that I really do not understand. "Identify two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that influences the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms." I noticed that this question was already posted once at this website but I was not able to understand where the question went, so I'm posting it again.

I'm not sure if I'm just reading too much into the question or what but I read the question and I don't even know where to start. I tried looking up attractive and repulsive forces on the Internet but couldn't find any good sources. (I'm doing this through an independent learning centre, so I can't ask a teacher.) I do not recall reading any information on this subject in the last lesson,.

First, what are the two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that the question is asking about? How do van der Waals forces (they are attractive right?) and dipole-dipole forces, etc. fit in with this question?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you mean two types of attractive and repulsive forces or two examples of the same type. For example, the Coulomb forces associated with charges can be repulsive (for like charges +/+ or -/-) or attractive (+/-).

Then there are magnetic fields which can be repuslive for like poles (N/N or S/S) or attractive for opposite poles (N/S).

Chemical bonds are essentially related to E/M fields, which have to do with sharing of electrons. Within an atomic bonds, the forces derived from sharing electrons (+ nuclei attract - electrons) are balanced by the Coulomb repulsion of the nuclei (+/+).

Where is the other thread on this subject?

berry2 said:
Hi! This is a homework question that I'm supposed to answer but that I really do not understand. "Identify two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that influences the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms." I noticed that this question was already posted once at this website but I was not able to understand where the question went, so I'm posting it again.
Sound eerily familiar. Did I respond to the earlier thread? Got a link to it?

Here is the link to the previous thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74752. As I said earlier, I get totally confused just reading this question, so I'm not even sure what it is really asking. But that is all the information I'm given to work with.

0. A chemical bond is nothing but the result of electrostatic interactions between the charged particles in atoms.

1. There is no net force between the atoms in a molecule (if there was a net force, then by Newton's Third Law, we would see the atoms flying into or away from each other).

2. This does not mean there are no forces between the (parts of these) atoms. Clearly, if there are charges, they must attract or repel ohter charges. The only thing we can say is that the sum of these forces be zero.

3. What kinds of charges do you have in an atom? If you bring a pair of atoms close together, what effects will these charges have on each other?

attractive:
-nucleus of an atom and its own electrons
-nucleus of one atom and the electron clouds of another

repulsive:
- the negative electron clouds of two different atoms
- the positive nuclei of two different atoms

resource: Foundations of Chemistry text

1. What is a chemical bond?

A chemical bond is an attractive force that holds two or more atoms together in a molecule. It is formed by the sharing or transfer of electrons between the participating atoms.

2. What is the difference between repulsive and attractive forces in chemical bonds?

Repulsive forces push atoms apart, while attractive forces pull atoms together. In chemical bonds, attractive forces are responsible for holding atoms together, while repulsive forces help to maintain the appropriate distance between the atoms.

3. How do repulsive and attractive forces influence the strength of a chemical bond?

The strength of a chemical bond is influenced by the balance between repulsive and attractive forces. If the attractive forces are stronger than the repulsive forces, the bond will be strong. However, if the repulsive forces are stronger, the bond will be weaker and may even break.

4. What factors can affect the strength of repulsive and attractive forces in chemical bonds?

The strength of repulsive and attractive forces in chemical bonds can be influenced by several factors, including the distance between the participating atoms, the number of electrons involved in the bond, and the types of atoms involved. The strength of these forces can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How do repulsive and attractive forces contribute to the properties of substances?

The strength and type of chemical bonds present in a substance greatly affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, substances with strong covalent bonds tend to have high melting and boiling points, while substances with weaker bonds may be more volatile. Additionally, the attractive forces between molecules can also contribute to properties such as solubility and viscosity.