Resistance and resistivity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance of a spool of aluminum wire at 600 degrees Celsius, given its resistance at 20 degrees Celsius and the values of resistivity and thermal coefficient of the wire. After some calculations and explanations, the final answer is determined to be 2250 ohms.
jony529
Hey I had a question on my quiz where it asked for the Resistance of aluminum at 600 deg C. But the formula rho-rho(i) = rho(i)a(T-T(i)) only finds the value of the resistivity at 600 deg C how do I convert it to resistance without more given info?

Question: A spool of aluminum wire has a resistance of 634 at 20o C. Find the resistance of the spool at 600o C

Alum = (rho(i)= 2.75x10^-8), (alpha = 4.4x10^-3)

My work
rho = (2.75x10^-8*4.4x10^-3*580)+(2.75x10^-8)

rho = (9.768x10^-8)

So I need to convert the resistivity to resistance from here but I just don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming nothing else about the dimensions of the wire changed then it's just a ratio question.
You could pick an arbitrary length and CSA and work out the resistance and then the resistance change but it would just cancel out.

Sorry but I didnt fully understand what you were trying to tell me. I know R = rho(L/A), So if I pick an arbitrary length say 10m. How do I find that A of the wire, and furthermore what's canceling out? Confused!

BTW the answer is 2250 ohms. Like I said originally it was a quiz online I just took. But how do I arrive at that answer??

The reel has a certain length and area an a resistance of 634R if the resistivity doubles then the resistance of that piece must also double.
If the resistivity is proportional to the temperature then you just have to fin the c change in temperature and so the proportional change in resitivity and resistance.

Imagine an analogy, if you ha a block that weight 1kg and the density doubles then the new block weighs 2kg - whatever the size is.

The thrilling conclusion to my problem:

rho = rho(i)alpha(T-T(i)) + rho(i)
R = rho(L/A)

Find R.

{(L/A)} * {rho} = {(L/A)} * {rho(i)alpha(T-T(i)) + rho(i)}

which equals

R = R(i)alpha(T-T(i)) + R(i)

2250 ohms = 634(4.4x10^-3)580 + 634

1. How do you calculate resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

2. What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance are material, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistance, longer lengths, smaller cross-sectional areas, and higher temperatures will have higher resistance.

3. What is the difference between resistance and resistivity?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material opposes the flow of current, while resistivity is a measure of a material's inherent resistance per unit length. Resistivity takes into account the material's composition and is a constant value, whereas resistance can change based on external factors.

4. How does temperature affect resistance?

As temperature increases, the resistance of a material also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in a material vibrate more and collide with electrons, impeding the flow of current.

5. How can I decrease resistance in a circuit?

To decrease resistance in a circuit, you can use materials with lower resistivity, shorten the length of the circuit, increase the cross-sectional area of the circuit, or decrease the temperature. Additionally, using thicker wires and clean, well-connected components can also help decrease resistance in a circuit.