1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting sum of iterated integrals (order of integration)

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Rewrite the given sum of iterated integrals as a single iterated integral by reversing the order of integration, and evaluate.

$$\int_0^1 \int_0^x sin x dy dx + \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 - x} sin x dy dx$$

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the domains of each integral and saw that they appeared different, but I proceeded anyway. Changing the order of integration of each integral, I arrived at

$$\int_0^1 \int_y^1 sin x dx dy + \int_0^1 \int_1^{2-y} sin x dx dy$$

which doesn't appear to help me. This made me further suspicious about how I could possibly combine two integrals over two different domains. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming your result in (3) is correct:

your outer integral is the same for both terms ... so you can move it outside of the two inner integrals. But the inner integrals have the same integrands, and cover intervals (y,1) and (1,2-y) ... so they are contiguous.

That means they are equivalent to the same integrand over the union of the intervals: (y,2-y).

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    Oh wow, I never would have thought of that! That makes complete sense, though! Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted