Rewriting sum of iterated integrals (order of integration)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
MuIotaTau
Messages
82
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement



Rewrite the given sum of iterated integrals as a single iterated integral by reversing the order of integration, and evaluate.

$$\int_0^1 \int_0^x sin x dy dx + \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 - x} sin x dy dx$$

Homework Equations



None

The Attempt at a Solution



I drew the domains of each integral and saw that they appeared different, but I proceeded anyway. Changing the order of integration of each integral, I arrived at

$$\int_0^1 \int_y^1 sin x dx dy + \int_0^1 \int_1^{2-y} sin x dx dy$$

which doesn't appear to help me. This made me further suspicious about how I could possibly combine two integrals over two different domains. Any hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your result in (3) is correct:

your outer integral is the same for both terms ... so you can move it outside of the two inner integrals. But the inner integrals have the same integrands, and cover intervals (y,1) and (1,2-y) ... so they are contiguous.

That means they are equivalent to the same integrand over the union of the intervals: (y,2-y).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
Assuming your result in (3) is correct:

your outer integral is the same for both terms ... so you can move it outside of the two inner integrals. But the inner integrals have the same integrands, and cover intervals (y,1) and (1,2-y) ... so they are contiguous.

That means they are equivalent to the same integrand over the union of the intervals: (y,2-y).

Oh wow, I never would have thought of that! That makes complete sense, though! Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.