Rewriting sum of iterated integrals (order of integration)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to rewrite a given sum of iterated integrals by reversing the order of integration and evaluating it. The process is demonstrated and a solution is reached by combining the two integrals over different domains into one integral over the union of the domains.
MuIotaTau

Homework Statement

Rewrite the given sum of iterated integrals as a single iterated integral by reversing the order of integration, and evaluate.

$$\int_0^1 \int_0^x sin x dy dx + \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 - x} sin x dy dx$$

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the domains of each integral and saw that they appeared different, but I proceeded anyway. Changing the order of integration of each integral, I arrived at

$$\int_0^1 \int_y^1 sin x dx dy + \int_0^1 \int_1^{2-y} sin x dx dy$$

which doesn't appear to help me. This made me further suspicious about how I could possibly combine two integrals over two different domains. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your result in (3) is correct:

your outer integral is the same for both terms ... so you can move it outside of the two inner integrals. But the inner integrals have the same integrands, and cover intervals (y,1) and (1,2-y) ... so they are contiguous.

That means they are equivalent to the same integrand over the union of the intervals: (y,2-y).

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
Assuming your result in (3) is correct:

your outer integral is the same for both terms ... so you can move it outside of the two inner integrals. But the inner integrals have the same integrands, and cover intervals (y,1) and (1,2-y) ... so they are contiguous.

That means they are equivalent to the same integrand over the union of the intervals: (y,2-y).

Oh wow, I never would have thought of that! That makes complete sense, though! Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

1. What is the purpose of rewriting a sum of iterated integrals?

Rewriting a sum of iterated integrals allows us to change the order of integration and simplify the integral expression, making it easier to solve. It also allows us to evaluate the integral over a different region.

2. How do you determine the order of integration when rewriting a sum of iterated integrals?

The order of integration is determined by the limits of integration for each variable. The innermost integral should have the limits of integration that are independent of the other variables, while the outermost integral should have the limits dependent on all variables.

3. Can the order of integration be changed for any sum of iterated integrals?

No, the order of integration can only be changed for certain types of integrals. For example, it is not possible to change the order of integration for a double integral if the limits of integration are not constants.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines to follow when rewriting a sum of iterated integrals?

Yes, there are a few rules that can help with rewriting a sum of iterated integrals. These include changing the limits of integration to match the new order, reversing the limits if necessary, and changing the variables of integration to match the new order.

5. How does rewriting a sum of iterated integrals relate to the concept of Fubini's theorem?

Rewriting a sum of iterated integrals is essentially applying Fubini's theorem, which states that the order of integration can be changed without affecting the value of the integral, as long as the integral is absolutely convergent. In other words, the rewritten integral should give the same result as the original integral.