Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating multiple objects around an axle?

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for a way to rotate blocks. There is a single axle going through the blocks.. say there are a dozen of them. I am trying to figure out a way to rotate each block individually to one of the 4 sides based on different inputs. I am also trying to accomplish this with a single motor if possible. Can anyone tell me the most simple/efficient way to accomplish such a task?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

How many blocks will there be and what will their approximate dimensions be?
    How much gap is there between the adjacent block's side faces?
    Can the drive mechanism be placed behind the blocks, say on a parallel shaft?
    Does rotating the block do work or is it balanced?

Is there room inside the blocks for a large diameter tubular axle?
    That could provide access to drive the blocks through holes in the axle wall. Each block might have an internal gear that engages with a pinion on a long shaft inside the axle. Those shafts would be arranged around the inside circumference of the axle. The motor would then be engage with the appropriate shaft, but that is another problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook