Russian army march in front of Putin and George Bush

In summary, the conversation discussed the presence of a sickle and hammer in a Russian army march in front of Putin and George Bush. The question was raised about the Russian flag and whether it was the red, blue, and white stripes or if there was something else. It was clarified that the Russian flag does have those stripes, while the sickle and hammer flag belongs to the former Soviet Union. It was mentioned that the Soviet flag may have been displayed during the march as a commemoration of WWII. The conversation also touched on the display of Stalin's image during the march.
Bladibla
I remember watching the BBC news seeing a sickle and a hammer in a Russian army march in front of Putin and George Bush.

My question is: Is the russian Flag the red, blue and white stripes? OR is there something I'm not aware of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, white blue end red striped is the russian flag, the other is of the former soviet union (red w/ the sickle and hammer).

Monique said:
Yes, white blue end red striped is the russian flag, the other is of the former soviet union (red w/ the sickle and hammer).

Funny thing is though, unless i am foolish and am retarded, i remember seeing the hammer and sickle flag on the army of Putin..

Now Putin isn't part of Soviet union, at least from what i know.

It was probably because that was the Soviet flag during WWII, which they were commemorating.

FredGarvin said:
It was probably because that was the Soviet flag during WWII, which they were commemorating.

Ah, that would be a valid explanation. Cheers! :smile:

... as well as the images of "papa" - Stalin being displayed :yuck: .

1. What was the purpose of the Russian army march in front of Putin and George Bush?

The Russian army march was meant to showcase the strength and power of the Russian military and to demonstrate their support for President Putin.

2. How often does the Russian army perform such marches in front of political leaders?

The Russian army has a long tradition of performing military parades and marches in front of political leaders, particularly during important events and national holidays. However, it is not a regular occurrence.

3. Did the presence of the Russian army marching in front of Putin and George Bush have any political significance?

Yes, the march was highly symbolic and had political significance. It served as a display of Russia's strong military capabilities and sent a message to the world that Russia would not be intimidated by other world powers.

4. How did George Bush react to the Russian army march?

George Bush did not seem to show any specific reaction to the Russian army march. He maintained a neutral expression and continued with the proceedings of the event.

5. Were there any controversies surrounding the Russian army march in front of Putin and George Bush?

There were some controversies surrounding the march, particularly regarding the timing and location of the event. Some critics saw it as a blatant display of military power and a way for Putin to assert dominance over Bush. Others argued that it was a normal military parade and should not be seen as a political statement.