Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Safety rules for ammonia

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    I know that in order to be helped we must present our thinking, but I cannot do that since my knowledge in this topic is small and I don't have time to make a search because I have to study for my math's test that is tomorrow. I hope you understand.

Imagine that you are going to visit a factory whose raw material is ammonia.

1. Refer 3 safety rules of the factory.

2. In what concerns the personal safety, how must people work in this factory?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry Pponte : Rules are rules, and we can't do your homework for you.

4. Feb 10, 2006 #3
    you can try google

5. Feb 10, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Presumably such matters are discussed in some detail in whatever text one is using for this course.

However, some hints: Ammonia is produced by combining nitrogen and hydrogen. Hydrogen is flammable, even explosive. Ammonia dissolved in water produces a basic or caustic solution. One cannot breath ammonia.

So ammonia may be considered a hazardous material, and when working around hazardous materials, one observes warning signs and familiarizes oneself with warning sirens, evacuation paths, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook