Second derivative of the equation for an elipse.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of y with respect to x in an equation involving both variables. The possible answers include 2/(3y2), -2/(9y3), 2/(3y3), -2/(3y2), and -2/(3y3). The first derivative is found implicitly and the second derivative is found using the chain rule. The conversation also mentions using the equation for the ellipse to eliminate x, but it is later clarified that the equation is not actually an ellipse. The conversation ends with a question about plugging in the result for y' into the result for y" and the response is that the equation can be rearranged to solve for x in terms of y.
agent_509

Homework Statement

Determine the second derivative of y with respect to x when 2x2+3y2=0

Homework Equations

possible answers include:
2/(3y2)
-2/(9y3)
2/(3y3)
-2/(3y2)
-2/(3y3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first derivative with respect to x implicitly and came up with
-2x/3y

I then took the second derivative, but here's where I get stuck.
I wind up with:
(-2y+2x(y'))/(3y^2)

The only possible answers have only y in them, while I see no way to get rid of x in my solution. I've done this several times and come up with the same answer each time, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation for the ellipse to eliminate x.

agent_509 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the second derivative of y with respect to x when 2x2+3y2=0

Homework Equations

possible answers include:
2/(3y2)
-2/(9y3)
2/(3y3)
-2/(3y2)
-2/(3y3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first derivative with respect to x implicitly and came up with
-2x/3y

I then took the second derivative, but here's where I get stuck.
I wind up with:
(-2y+2x(y'))/(3y^2)

The only possible answers have only y in them, while I see no way to get rid of x in my solution. I've done this several times and come up with the same answer each time, what am I doing wrong?
Did you plug your result for y' into you result for y": y" = (-2y+2x(y'))/(3y2)

Yes I did,but you'll notice that still doesn't get rid of x.

Vela, what do you mean by that?

Oh, sorry, it's not an equation of an ellipse. You can use the original equation ##2x^2+3y^2=0## to solve for ##x## in terms of ##y##.

What did you get when you plugged your result for y' into your result for y": y" = (-2y+2x(y'))/(3y2) ?

Related to Second derivative of the equation for an elipse.

1. What is the formula for finding the second derivative of an ellipse?

The formula for finding the second derivative of an ellipse is d2y/dx2 = (b2 - a2)x/y3, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, respectively.

2. Why is finding the second derivative important for an ellipse?

The second derivative of an ellipse can provide information about the concavity and points of inflection of the ellipse's graph. This can help in understanding the behavior and curvature of the ellipse.

3. How do you use the second derivative to determine the concavity of an ellipse?

If the second derivative is positive, then the ellipse is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, then the ellipse is concave down.

4. Can the second derivative of an ellipse be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of an ellipse can be negative. This means that the ellipse is concave down at that particular point on its graph.

5. Is there a relationship between the second derivative of an ellipse and its eccentricity?

Yes, there is a relationship between the second derivative of an ellipse and its eccentricity. The eccentricity of an ellipse is equal to the square root of (b2 - a2) / b2. Therefore, the second derivative can be written as d2y/dx2 = (1 - e2)x/y3, where e is the eccentricity of the ellipse.