1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Lorentz transformation problem

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. At what speed (measured in units so c = 1) must the train be moving in order for the points(X,T) = (1,1) and (X,T) = (5,2) to be simultaneous in the (X',T') coordinate system?

2. Relevant equations

Disclaimer: I'm not actually in a physics class, I'm in an elementary college math class that's doing a special relativity unit. So I know very little about physics.

I do know we have to use Lorentz Transformations, so that would be:

X= X'/(square root (1-(v^2/c^2) + VT'/(square root (1-(v^2/c^2)
    and T = VX'/C^2(square root (1-(v^2/c^2) + T'/square root (1-(v^2/c^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so here's the thing. I just want to know where to begin; i.e., how to set up my equations. I can do the math once I get there, but I really don't even get what this question is asking...where do I put in the given coordinates, and to which of the given equations? That's all I need to know.

Thank you so much! Hope this followed all forum guidelines, I'm not looking for anybody to do my homework at all, just a little hint about where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Apr 13, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi brooktrout! fishy welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    hint: the 4-vector joining them is (4,1) :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook