Simple Lorentz transformation problem

In summary, the question asks at what speed the train must be moving for two events at (1,1) and (5,2) to be simultaneous in the (X',T') coordinate system. To solve this, the given equations for Lorentz Transformations can be used, with the 4-vector (4,1) representing the events. The solution can be found by setting the events to be simultaneous in the primed frame and solving for v.
brooktrout

Homework Statement

3. At what speed (measured in units so c = 1) must the train be moving in order for the points(X,T) = (1,1) and (X,T) = (5,2) to be simultaneous in the (X',T') coordinate system?

Homework Equations

Disclaimer: I'm not actually in a physics class, I'm in an elementary college math class that's doing a special relativity unit. So I know very little about physics.

I do know we have to use Lorentz Transformations, so that would be:

X= X'/(square root (1-(v^2/c^2) + VT'/(square root (1-(v^2/c^2)
and T = VX'/C^2(square root (1-(v^2/c^2) + T'/square root (1-(v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so here's the thing. I just want to know where to begin; i.e., how to set up my equations. I can do the math once I get there, but I really don't even get what this question is asking...where do I put in the given coordinates, and to which of the given equations? That's all I need to know.

Thank you so much! Hope this followed all forum guidelines, I'm not looking for anybody to do my homework at all, just a little hint about where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to pf!

hi brooktrout! fishy welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
brooktrout said:
3. At what speed (measured in units so c = 1) must the train be moving in order for the points(X,T) = (1,1) and (X,T) = (5,2) to be simultaneous in the (X',T') coordinate system?

hint: the 4-vector joining them is (4,1) :wink:

1. How do I solve a simple Lorentz transformation problem?

To solve a simple Lorentz transformation problem, you need to first determine the values of the variables involved, such as velocity and time. Then, you can use the equations for Lorentz transformation to calculate the transformed values.

2. What is the purpose of a Lorentz transformation?

The purpose of a Lorentz transformation is to convert measurements of space and time between two different frames of reference, specifically between frames in relative motion.

3. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation?

A Lorentz transformation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while a Galilean transformation does not. Lorentz transformations are necessary at high speeds, while Galilean transformations are accurate at low speeds.

4. Can a Lorentz transformation be applied to any type of motion?

No, a Lorentz transformation is only applicable to motion with a constant relative velocity. It cannot be used for accelerated motion.

5. How is a Lorentz transformation related to the concept of spacetime?

A Lorentz transformation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. It shows how measurements of space and time change between different frames of reference, providing a connection between the two dimensions of spacetime.