Simple pendulum Help. Dunno Why Im wrong.

In summary, a rigid rod with a length of 0.742 m is suspended from a pivot at the upper end and pulled out at a small angle, forming a physical pendulum. The period of the pendulum can be calculated using the equation T=2pi sqrt(L/g), where L is the length of the rod. The moment of inertia must also be taken into account for accurate calculations.
e=mcahhhh

Homework Statement

A very light rigid rod with a length of 0.742 m extends straight out from one end of a meter stick. The combination is suspended from a pivot at the upper end of the rod as shown in the following figure. The combination is then pulled out by a small angle and released.

Homework Equations

Period T=2pi sqrt(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2pi* sqrt (.743/9.8)=1.72s

http://www.webassign.net/serpse8/15-p-034-alt.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a simple pendulum, I am afraid. A picture would be useful. You did not take the meter stick into account.

ehild

Oh i see its a physical pendulum

Yes. Find the moment of inertia.

ehild

I understand that the period of a simple pendulum is dependent on the length of the pendulum and the gravitational acceleration. In this case, the length of the pendulum is given as 0.742 m and the gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. Using the equation T=2pi sqrt(L/g), I calculated the period to be approximately 1.72 seconds.

If you are unsure why your answer may be incorrect, it is important to check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. It is also helpful to double check the given information and make sure you are using the correct formula for the situation. Additionally, if you are still unsure, reaching out for help from a teacher or classmate can provide valuable insight and assistance in understanding the problem.

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is a common tool used to study the motion of objects under the force of gravity.

2. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the force of gravity, and the amplitude (the maximum angle of swing). Other factors such as air resistance and mass of the pendulum bob may also play a role in the period.

4. Why might my calculated period for a simple pendulum be different from the expected value?

There are several reasons why your calculated period may differ from the expected value. These could include experimental errors, such as measuring the length of the pendulum incorrectly, or not accounting for all the factors that affect the period. It could also be due to external factors such as air resistance or the pendulum not being perfectly isolated from vibrations.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my simple pendulum experiment?

To improve the accuracy of your simple pendulum experiment, you can take multiple measurements and calculate the average value, ensure the pendulum is properly isolated from external factors, and use more precise equipment for measurements. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times and compare the results to identify any inconsistencies and improve the overall accuracy.