1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Statics Problem

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the tension in cables BC and BD, and reactions at the ball-and-
    socket joint at A for the mast shown in the figure.

Answers are given by the teacher for checking purposes: TC=707 N; TD=1500 N, Ax=0 N,
    AY=0 N, AZ=1500 N

2. Relevant equations
    ƩMx=0
    ƩMy=0
    ƩMz=0
    ƩFx=0
    ƩFy=0
    ƩFz=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking clockwise to be the positive moment direction about the x-axis. In other words, if you are standing at the positive side of the x-axis and look down towards the negative side, the moment will be spinning clockwise.
    ƩMx=0= -1kN(6m) + TBDcos(tan-1(3/6))cos(45)[kN]*(6m)
    ....this attempt at a solution is way wrong.

The way I thought about it was, take the cos(tan-1(3/6)) to get your TBD in the yz-plane. Next, I took the cos(45) to get it going strictly in the y direction, and then multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the x-axis, 6 m. The problem I'm having is knowing what to do with the given force of 1 kN. There is no specified direction or any information stating where this force is going to. I know how to use the moment and force equations if I can get these things broken up into components correctly.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

From your rough figure it looks as though force F is anti-parallel to the y-axis (that is, it is parallel to the xy plane and directed towards the -y direction).

If you project all the forces onto the xy-plane then you'll have a pretty straightforward exercise in statics.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right now, without knowing the direction of F I'm dubious as to whether the problem can be solved.

If we assumed point D is along the y axis, just for the sake of argument, then the force summations at point B would be

Fx + Tc/√2 = 0
    Fy + Td/√2 = 0

(Summing moments about A gives no new information.)

But √(Fx^2 + Fy^2) = C = 1kN

So we have

Fx + Tc/√2 = 0
    √(C^2 - Fx^2) + Td = 0

I can pick any Fx < C, that determines Tc, the Td is also determined. So Fx and Fy are not uniquely defined. If I reorient F in the (presumably) x-y plane, Tc and Td will be correspondingly redistributed to satisfy ƩF = 0.

I guess the question is, since point D is offset from the y axis into the -x direction, does this impose another condition on F such that its direction is then defined? Stay tuned, gotta think about it some more.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looking at it more, I don't think the fact that D is offset into the -x direction changes the aforesaid.

Now we write
    ƩFx = 0 → Fx + Tc/√2 + Tdi = 0
    ƩFy = 0 → Fy + Tdj = 0
    Fx^2 + Fy^2 = 1 kN

where

i,j are unit x and y vectors,
    Tc = Tc*ûc
    and Td = Td*ûd
    Vectors in bold. ûc and ûd are unit vectors pointing from the flagpole top to C and D respectively. Tc and Td are positive scalars.

ûc and ûd are known (check your analyt geometry or calculus book).

Again, I don't see that Ʃmoment about point A will give more info. The moments are just the x and y forces about the y and x axes respectively, times L, the length of the pole.

This means again that, since there are 4 unknowns and only 3 equations, we can choose Fx arbitrarily < 1 kN.

Maybe someone else can look at this and refute my reasoning. Woukldn't be the first time ...

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5
    Rudeman, you had the right idea. The 1kN force is in fact in the y direction. I used the j unit vector for the -1kN force. I used the moment about A, and then I used the i, j, and k components of that to find T(bd) and T(bc). Then I summed up the force components to find the A forces. Thank you all for the helpful repiles.

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are just 3 external unknowns at A, C, and D...all members whether tension wires or compression columns are 2-force members, so the problem is statically determinate using just 3 of the 6 equations (the other 3 are superfluous, as you noted).

8. Oct 24, 2011 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There were 4 unknowns before it was determined that F was in the -y direction: Fx, Fy, Tc and Td. Defining F = -1kn*j resolved the indeterminacy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook