Solve Tension in Cables BC, BD for Simple Statics Problem

• Thread starter papasmurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the homework statement is to determine the tension in cables BC and BD, and reactions at the ball-and-socket joint at A for the mast shown in the figure. An attempt at a solution is given, but it is incorrect. The way to solve this problem is to use statics and project all the forces onto the xy-plane. If F is reoriented in the x-y plane, Tc and Td will be redistributed to satisfy ƩF = 0.
papasmurf

Homework Statement

Determine the tension in cables BC and BD, and reactions at the ball-and-
socket joint at A for the mast shown in the figure.

Answers are given by the teacher for checking purposes: TC=707 N; TD=1500 N, Ax=0 N,
AY=0 N, AZ=1500 N

Homework Equations

ƩMx=0
ƩMy=0
ƩMz=0
ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
ƩFz=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking clockwise to be the positive moment direction about the x-axis. In other words, if you are standing at the positive side of the x-axis and look down towards the negative side, the moment will be spinning clockwise.
ƩMx=0= -1kN(6m) + TBDcos(tan-1(3/6))cos(45)[kN]*(6m)
...this attempt at a solution is way wrong.

The way I thought about it was, take the cos(tan-1(3/6)) to get your TBD in the yz-plane. Next, I took the cos(45) to get it going strictly in the y direction, and then multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the x-axis, 6 m. The problem I'm having is knowing what to do with the given force of 1 kN. There is no specified direction or any information stating where this force is going to. I know how to use the moment and force equations if I can get these things broken up into components correctly.

Attachments

• ME410HWhelp.gif
    ME410HWhelp.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 742
Physics news on Phys.org
From your rough figure it looks as though force F is anti-parallel to the y-axis (that is, it is parallel to the xy plane and directed towards the -y direction).

If you project all the forces onto the xy-plane then you'll have a pretty straightforward exercise in statics.

Right now, without knowing the direction of F I'm dubious as to whether the problem can be solved.

If we assumed point D is along the y axis, just for the sake of argument, then the force summations at point B would be

Fx + Tc/√2 = 0
Fy + Td/√2 = 0

(Summing moments about A gives no new information.)

But √(Fx^2 + Fy^2) = C = 1kN

So we have

Fx + Tc/√2 = 0
√(C^2 - Fx^2) + Td = 0

I can pick any Fx < C, that determines Tc, the Td is also determined. So Fx and Fy are not uniquely defined. If I reorient F in the (presumably) x-y plane, Tc and Td will be correspondingly redistributed to satisfy ƩF = 0.

I guess the question is, since point D is offset from the y-axis into the -x direction, does this impose another condition on F such that its direction is then defined? Stay tuned, got to think about it some more.

Looking at it more, I don't think the fact that D is offset into the -x direction changes the aforesaid.

Now we write
ƩFx = 0 → Fx + Tc/√2 + Tdi = 0
ƩFy = 0 → Fy + Tdj = 0
Fx^2 + Fy^2 = 1 kN

where

i,j are unit x and y vectors,
Tc = Tc*ûc
and Td = Td*ûd
Vectors in bold. ûc and ûd are unit vectors pointing from the flagpole top to C and D respectively. Tc and Td are positive scalars.

ûc and ûd are known (check your analyt geometry or calculus book).

Again, I don't see that Ʃmoment about point A will give more info. The moments are just the x and y forces about the y and x axes respectively, times L, the length of the pole.

This means again that, since there are 4 unknowns and only 3 equations, we can choose Fx arbitrarily < 1 kN.

Maybe someone else can look at this and refute my reasoning. Woukldn't be the first time ...

Rudeman, you had the right idea. The 1kN force is in fact in the y direction. I used the j unit vector for the -1kN force. I used the moment about A, and then I used the i, j, and k components of that to find T(bd) and T(bc). Then I summed up the force components to find the A forces. Thank you all for the helpful repiles.

rude man said:
This means again that, since there are 4 unknowns and only 3 equations, we can choose Fx arbitrarily < 1 kN.
There are just 3 external unknowns at A, C, and D...all members whether tension wires or compression columns are 2-force members, so the problem is statically determinate using just 3 of the 6 equations (the other 3 are superfluous, as you noted).

PhanthomJay said:
There are just 3 external unknowns at A, C, and D...all members whether tension wires or compression columns are 2-force members, so the problem is statically determinate using just 3 of the 6 equations (the other 3 are superfluous, as you noted).

There were 4 unknowns before it was determined that F was in the -y direction: Fx, Fy, Tc and Td. Defining F = -1kn*j resolved the indeterminacy.

1. What is tension in cables BC and BD?

Tension in cables BC and BD refers to the amount of force or pulling that is being exerted on each cable. In a simple statics problem, tension is typically represented as a vector and is measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How do you solve for tension in cables BC and BD?

To solve for tension in cables BC and BD, you will need to use the principles of statics and apply equations such as Newton's laws of motion and equilibrium equations. These equations will help you determine the unknown forces acting on the cables and ultimately solve for the tension.

3. What factors affect the tension in cables BC and BD?

The tension in cables BC and BD can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the objects being supported by the cables, the angle at which the cables are attached, and the length and material of the cables. These factors can impact the overall force and stress on the cables, thus affecting the tension.

4. Can the tension in cables BC and BD be negative?

Technically, tension cannot be negative as it represents a pulling force. However, in some cases, the calculations may result in a negative value which simply indicates that the direction of the force is opposite to what was initially assumed. In this case, the absolute value of the negative tension should be considered.

5. How does solving for tension in cables BC and BD help in a simple statics problem?

Solving for tension in cables BC and BD is important in a simple statics problem as it allows you to determine the stability and safety of a system. By knowing the tension in the cables, you can ensure that the forces acting on the system are balanced and that the structure is able to withstand the load being placed on it.