Simply Supported Beam Homework Clarification

• Thread starter tsukuba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving calculating deflection using the center deflection formula. The question states "19 inches from one end" and the person is unsure if they used the correct formula. They mention using the maximum deflection formula and having trouble understanding the "deflection at anysection in terms of x" formula. They ask for clarification on how to determine the values for x and b in the formula. The expert clarifies that they should refer to the diagram attached to the formula and use the longer distance for b. The conversation ends with the person stating their final answer.
tsukuba

Homework Statement

Hello, I did the question but would like for someone to clarify if its right. The question states " 19 inches from one end" but I used the center deflection formula and I am not sure if its right.
It is question 2 of the picture
IMG_20141210_09375_edit_1418222343023.jpg

Homework Equations

equation is in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is in the picture

Physics news on Phys.org
tsukuba said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I did the question but would like for someone to clarify if its right. The question states " 19 inches from one end" but I used the center deflection formula and I am not sure if its right.
It is question 2 of the picture
IMG_20141210_09375_edit_1418222343023.jpg

Homework Equations

equation is in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is in the picture

Unless 19 inches is half of 6 feet 4 inches, no, you did not use the correct formula to calculate the deflection of this beam. Why did you think they put that box with a different beam formula right under the title of the problem?

I thought so, since I used the maximum deflection one. I am having a little trouble understand the formulas for "deflection at anysection in terms of x"
I think I am supposed to use y = Pbx / 6LEI ( L2-x2-b2 but I am not sure weather x is 19 and b is 57 or
x is 57 and b is 19
How would I know this?

tsukuba said:
I thought so, since I used the maximum deflection one. I am having a little trouble understand the formulas for "deflection at anysection in terms of x"
I think I am supposed to use y = Pbx / 6LEI ( L2-x2-b2 but I am not sure weather x is 19 and b is 57 or
x is 57 and b is 19
How would I know this?

Look at the diagram attached to the formula. That should tell you what to use for a and what to use for b. Notice that one distance is longer than the other.

okay, so If you look at the picture I used the first formula of the middle column where 0<x<a
I made b = 19 and from the formula to calculate x I got 42.5
My final answer is 2.289 lbs

Related to Simply Supported Beam Homework Clarification

What is a simply supported beam?

A simply supported beam is a type of structural element that is supported at both ends and carries a load between these supports. It is one of the most common types of beams used in construction and engineering.

How do I calculate the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam?

In order to calculate the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam, you will need to use the principles of statics and equilibrium. This involves finding the sum of all the forces acting on the beam and ensuring that the sum of the forces in the vertical and horizontal directions is equal to zero.

What is the maximum bending moment of a simply supported beam?

The maximum bending moment of a simply supported beam occurs at the center of the beam, where the bending stress is at its highest. This value can be calculated using the beam's length, load, and support conditions.

How do I determine the deflection of a simply supported beam?

The deflection of a simply supported beam can be calculated using the beam's length, load, and support conditions, as well as the material properties of the beam. This can be done using equations derived from the principles of mechanics and structural analysis.

What are some common applications of simply supported beams?

Simply supported beams are commonly used in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also used in many different types of machines and mechanical systems to support and distribute loads.