1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small-signal input and output resistances of the circuit

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. With the circuit provided determine the small-signal input and output resistances of the circuit.

2. I was either given or found all the following info for the circuit:

VA = 110V

β = 115

T = 300k

quiescent base current is 12.0 microA

R1 = 12 kOhms, R2 = 6 kOhms and Rc = 2 kOhms

Ic = 1.38 mA, IE = 1.392 mA and IB = .012 mA

3. Now I am stuck on how to find the small signal info. This is what I am thinking though:

Would I change it to a small signal circuit to find the info? Then find input current and divide it by Vi?

Am I going down the right path?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be one way to do it.

You realize this is a terrible design since it's overwhelmingly dependent on beta. For example, Rf is not a feedbak resistor. It should have gone from the collector to the base. Also, the computed Vcc is only about 0.84V to get ib = 12uA. I have no idea what you meant by VA = 110V.

I have computed the approximate input & output impedances but you probably don't want those. I'll keep tabs on the thread to see what others come up with & possibly offer comments.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

After determining Zin of the transistor model, you have R2 in series with it. Then R1 in parallel.

(Ditto for query on VA?)

I would have expected R1 to be some MΩ, and rude man is right to be suspicious about the figures you provide.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted