So do you risk talking to her about fat?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, effective guidance for preventing your daughter from becoming overweight starts with having good fresh food in the house, and getting her involved in physical activity from an early age.
Klockan3 said:
But it can also do a whole lot of good as well, it depends so much on the context, if your kid is currently going through a tough time then don't, else they can take it just fine and it is good for them to learn that even people who loves them can be brash.

No, but criticism can do good despite being negative.

There is no form of negative criticism that will do as much good as that which is delivered positively and constructively.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
Chris Farley's career.

I am 35 years old.. I am divorced.. and I live in a van down by the river!

Career? Yes.

Lifespan? Not so much.

lisab said:
Career? Yes.

Lifespan? Not so much.
zing! :rofl:

DanP said:
Why in the name of god should I do that ?

Lead by example. Unless you're really muscular and thin to begin with, you could probably work on yourself (just as we all could). Plus, working out together could end up being a fun activity.

Honestly, I'm naturally inclined also, not to enjoy exercising much. But I have finally gotten dissatisfied with myself enough, in recent years, to start whipping my own gluteus maximus into shape. Just the idea of someone else yelling at me (like a drill sergeant) has always given me grief; so I started working out, initially, just to be up snuff.

I don't do weights; I don't even go to the gym. I just do my own conglomerate routine, fairly regularly (at least once every two days).

(1) I ride my bicycle around my neighborhood (roughly 2 miles) for leg strength.

(2) I do push-ups in my bedroom for upper body strength.

and...

(3) I follow abdominal muscle workout videos on Youtube, just to keep my waist size in check (I'm certainly not "ripped," but this does help burn fat noticeably). Here's a good intro even I could do at first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDZRogSbbU

Right now, I'm up to 41 push-ups per day (I'd heard at one time that military boot camp does a minimum of 48 for guys).

DaveC426913 said:
There is no form of negative criticism that will do as much good as that which is delivered positively and constructively.

How would you know ?

DaveC426913 said:
It depends on how you look at it, a kid which have never faced being hurt by the truth will be a lot more vulnerable in life later on and can easily turn into an ignorant prick. As long as you don't do it all that often and when you do you do it in a way which shows them that negative criticism is not something to fear.

You are absolutely correct though in that if you have a situation with another person then the best way to solve it is not to go straight on the problem but to talk the other persons language and try to get your will that way. However with kids I'd say that you are not there just to make the kid do X Y and Z but also to make the kid grow up into a great person that can handle all kinds of people and tough situations.

And you know, things like telling your kid to not destroy your backyard is negative criticism too. It hurts the kid to hear that but would you say that you would handle situations like that through other means? Do you realize how obnoxious such a kid would become?

FrancisZ said:
Lead by example. Unless you're really muscular and thin to begin with, you could probably work on yourself (just as we all could).

It simply doesn't work that way. If you are OK you could technically afford to tell anyone "you are fat", "buy a mirror" or "you are a walking heart attack" without loosing a gram of weight.

Besides, "really muscular and thin" at the same time is a contradiction. Models are thin. Maybe you mean muscular and low body fat ?

Btw, riding a bike won't do anything for your leg strength. If you want strength, learn to squat.
And I am somehow sure that a military bootcamp does a bit more than 48 pushups in a day. Maybe you mean 48 in a single set ?

lisab said:
Career? Yes.

Lifespan? Not so much.

He didn't die due to his weight. He died because of a days-long heroin, cocaine, alcohol and stripper binge.

Jack21222 said:
He didn't die due to his weight. He died because of a days-long heroin, cocaine, alcohol and stripper binge.
He died of a heart attack. True, the heart atack was caused by cocaine and morphine, however,
'...Advanced atherosclerosis was cited as a "significant contributing factor"'
- wiki

Btw, riding a bike won't do anything for your leg strength. If you want strength, learn to squat.
Just because there are better exercises for building leg strength than riding a bike, doesn't mean riding a bike doesn't build leg strength at all.
That's like saying running 5 miles does nothing to build up cardio, because running 25 miles does it better.

leroyjenkens said:
Just because there are better exercises for building leg strength than riding a bike, doesn't mean riding a bike doesn't build leg strength at all.
That's like saying running 5 miles does nothing to build up cardio, because running 25 miles does it better.

Yeah, it builds microscopical amounts of strength.

And your example is flawed to the bone because you compare endurance Vs endurance in your example, and I pointed out endurance Vs max-strength. Whatever.

DanP said:

And your example is flawed to the bone because you compare endurance Vs endurance in your example, and I pointed out endurance Vs max-strength. Whatever.

So Lance Armstrong's leg strength will be microscopically greater than the average person's?

leroyjenkens said:
So Lance Armstrong's leg strength will be microscopically greater than the average person's?

How do I know what exactly training regimen he has ? Do you ?

DanP said:

While it is true that a bike gives the rider a mechanical advantage through the gearing, one could go the other way with the gearing and get one hell of a muscle(strength) building workout, imo. Put a bike in high gear and find a 10% grade to ride up and then tell me a bike builds no strength.

That being said, riding a bike around the neighborhood will most likely not build signifigant amount of muscle or endurance, but it would burn a few more calories than sitting on the couch.

Also, to be fair, you never said anything about max strength in your previous statement, you said a bike will build no strength, so your example is also flawed, imo.

To the OP:
What is the risk of telling the truth? I don't mean you say boy are you fat, but telling the truth about the downside associated with obesity, then providing an example by living the way you want her to, would guide her to where you want her to be without worrying about hurting her self esteem.

Jasongreat said:
While it is true that a bike gives the rider a mechanical advantage through the gearing, one could go the other way with the gearing and get one hell of a muscle(strength) building workout, imo. Put a bike in high gear and find a 10% grade to ride up and then tell me a bike builds no strength.

Like I said, microscopical amounts.

DanP said:
Like I said, microscopical amounts.

Like I said, same amounts as squats, if you want.

It wouldn't be too hard to find a hill, set the bikes gearing and find that you need to exert 500lbs force to turn the pedals, which would be the same as squating 1000 lbs, wouldn't it? Would squatting 1000lbs build signifigant amounts of muscle?

We must have different ideas about what microscopically amounts are, even a half pound of muscle isn't microscopic,imo. Since muscle burns more calories than fat, even a small amount of added muscle will have profound effects on daily calories burnt, even while watching tv.

DanP said:
Look, I am not buying this. If she is too fat for him, how can he still date her ? Your fat enough not to be my wife, but I am still doing it with you ?

Im more inclined to think he has other reasons not to get married.

well, this is an easy one. if you marry a skinny girl, she gets fat. but if you marry a fat girl, she'll get morbidly obese. :tongue2:

Jasongreat said:
Like I said, same amounts as squats, if you want.

It wouldn't be too hard to find a hill, set the bikes gearing and find that you need to exert 500lbs force to turn the pedals, which would be the same as squating 1000 lbs, wouldn't it? Would squatting 1000lbs build signifigant amounts of muscle?

We must have different ideas about what microscopically amounts are, even a half pound of muscle isn't microscopic,imo. Since muscle burns more calories than fat, even a small amount of added muscle will have profound effects on daily calories burnt, even while watching tv.

Give me a break. Go spend the next years under a squat bar and then tell me those stories to send kids to bed.

DanP said:
Give me a break. Go spend the next years under a squat bar and then tell me those stories to send kids to bed.

i don't know what you guys are going on about, but cyclists and powerlifters are completely different animals. powerlifters have a lot more muscle mass, strength, and fat, and burn fewer calories than pro cyclists. pro cyclists have a lot more endurance, less muscle, less strength, less fat, and burn a ton of calories.

Jasongreat said:
What is the risk of telling the truth?
There is no "truth" here.

There is opinion. Possibly educated, possibly not, but inevitably baised.

Woman naturally have about twice the fat content as men. Endomorphic women are generally more fertile than ectomorphic women.

DanP said:
If you are OK you could technically afford to tell anyone "you are fat", "buy a mirror" or "you are a walking heart attack" without loosing a gram of weight.

Well, in theory, you could do or say anything, incidental, to anyone, if you so choose. But, to paraphrase...

"Why in the name of god [would you] do that...[unless, of course, you'd really want someone to think you're an egomaniac?]"

Besides, "really muscular and thin" at the same time is a contradiction. Models are thin. Maybe you mean muscular and low body fat?

To illustrate my point: take, for example, the two separate renditions of "Mr. Incredible" from that famous Pixar film, "The Incredibles."

Firstly, Mr. Incredible, in his younger form...

mrincrediblethin.png

And second, here's another, only older...

[PLAIN]http://www.daimation.com/photos/fatmrincredible.jpg

While he obviously seems to be maintaining musculature in the arms (to be slightly more precise); I would certainly no longer regard him as being especially trim, or "thin" (if you please), in the waist.

These of course, are only cartoons. But still: I've known actual people to be of similar enough persuasion, to want to make the analogy.

Frankly, I can't without laughing. To me, it always looks (and sounds) as though someone were severely constipated, and trying to make do (pun very highly intended).

And I am somehow sure that a military bootcamp does a bit more than 48 push-ups in a day. Maybe you mean 48 in a single set ?

At least according to this wiki article...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Physical_Fitness_Test" ...the minimum is 42 for men aged 17-21.

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
At least according to this wiki article...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Physical_Fitness_Test" ...the minimum is 42 for men aged 17-21.

That's a single set of pushups that you are required to be able to do, not 42 pushups over the course of a whole day. Anybody could do 48 pushups in a day by doing one every 15 minutes for 12 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:
That's a single set of pushups that you are required to be able to do, not 42 pushups over the course of a whole day. Anybody could do 48 pushups in a day by doing one every 15 minutes for 12 hours

I didn't actually say that; he (DanP) implied that I said that.

FrancisZ said:
I didn't actually say that; he (DanP) implied that I said that.

Sorry I didnt implied you said that, I only pointed out that 48 pushups /day are a joke, and in an army boot camp it sounds sound ludicrous.

IIRC corectly, US AFT requires in push ups for a score of 100 in the 37 - 41 age group 75 pushups in a time frame of 2 minutes.

DaveC426913 said:
There is no "truth" here.

There is opinion. Possibly educated, possibly not, but inevitably baised.

I disagree. I think there is truth: fat women suffer emotionally in American culture because of how they are treated due to their weight.

Also, even though most of you disapprove of my idea, I've not changed my opinion about the matter and in fact have come up with a method of attack: I would tell my young daughter a "story" about a little girl who gets fat and some of the problems she encounters because of that: the other girls make fun of her, she can't play volleyball because she moves too slow, they tease her when she's in her bathing suit, and none of the boys ask her to dance at the 5th grade dance except when the teachers force everyone to get a partner and dance.

And to reiterate, the risk of approaching this subject is that it "back-fires" and she develops some type of eating disorder: better to have her a little overweight than anorexic or bulemic . . . Jesus, I'd rather keep my mouth shut before that happens.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
And to reiterate, the risk of approaching this subject is that it "back-fires" and she develops some type of eating disorder: better to have her a little overweight than anorexic or bulemic . . . Jesus, I'd rather keep my mouth shut before that happens.
No, the risk of backfire is that she develops weight issues because her father is overly critical of her looks instead of unconditionally-loving and supportive of her accomplishments. Her confidence issues manifest in her being overweight as a way of controlling her own life.

This is a classic parent folly.

DaveC426913 said:
No, the risk of backfire is that she develops weight issues because her father is overly critical of her looks instead of unconditionally-loving and supportive of her accomplishments. Her confidence issues manifest in her being overweight as a way of controlling her own life.

This is a classic parent folly.

I would not be critical of her if she became fat, but rather just as loving if she were not and that's what I'd suggest to parents. I wish to get the idea across to not make this fat thing into a big deal. Bring it up here and there and if she does have weight issues, not be critical of her but rather guide her in ways that might be of help to resolve the issue without force, intimidation, or criticism. Really guys, my suggestion is the best approach I think and if mom doesn't go along, well try and convince her cus' you gotta' do that cooperating thing in a marriage. :)

Last edited:
jackmell said:
I disagree. I think there is truth: fat women suffer emotionally in American culture because of how they are treated due to their weight.

Also, even though most of you disapprove of my idea, I've not changed my opinion about the matter and in fact have come up with a method of attack: I would tell my young daughter a "story" about a little girl who gets fat and some of the problems she encounters because of that: the other girls make fun of her, she can't play volleyball because she moves too slow, they tease her when she's in her bathing suit, and none of the boys ask her to dance at the 5th grade dance except when the teachers force everyone to get a partner and dance.
And what are you teaching her by telling that story? What ideas are you actually instilling in her brain? That it is ok/normal for all overweight people to be bullied and outcast? I don't think that story is a wise lesson at all.

Monique said:
And what are you teaching her by telling that story? What ideas are you actually instilling in her brain? That it is ok/normal for all overweight people to be bullied and outcast? I don't think that story is a wise lesson at all.

But they are bullied and treated harshly in American culture Monique and how would I be instilling that it's ok to do this to fat people? I've give no indication of that? Sometimes I think you guys don't understand big-business: I would weave the story around a little girl that lived on a farm and had plenty of pets then she and I would go get a kitten and name her "me-nu" like I've always named our cats.

So I've planted the seed, then deflected it to something nicer. See guys . . . big-business. :)

jackmell said:
But they are bullied and treated harshly in American culture Monique and how would I be instilling that it's ok to do this to fat people? I've give no indication of that? Sometimes I think you guys don't understand big-business: I would weave the story around a little girl that lived on a farm and had plenty of pets then she and I would go get a kitten and name her "me-nu" like I've always named our cats.

So I've planted the seed, then deflected it to something nicer. See guys . . . big-business. :)

Well telling a kid a story is one thing, the real important lesson comes from how the parents act.

If you want to encourage your kid to be fit, you have to be fit. Model that behavior for them.

If you want to teach your kid that discriminating against fat people is wrong, you have to have a lot of fat people in your life, so your kid sees you interacting with them and treating them like anyone else. Model that behavior, too.

Actions teach much much better than an occasional story.

Look guys, she's gonna' hear the story and if mom disapproves and says something like, "Jack, don't you dare tell that story to her or I'll be very angry at you!" then I'd say, "look sweetie-pie, don't tell mom we had this little talk ok?" and she'd say, "why not dad?" I'd say, "well, cus' she'll get all mad and stuff at me cus' I mean Jesus, she thinks you'll get all worried about your weight and all, and stop eating, and get real skinny, and unhappy, and start to dislike fat girls but I mean that won't happen cus' mom doesn't understand big-business like you and me right?"

She shakes her head in typical little-girl-I-don't-quite-understand fashion.

Next morning Monique is mad as hell at me. Lil' tattle-tail . . .

jackmell said:
Look guys, she's gonna' hear the story and if mom disapproves and says something like, "Jack, don't you dare tell that story to her or I'll be very angry at you!" then I'd say, "look sweetie-pie, don't tell mom we had this little talk ok?" and she'd say, "why not dad?" I'd say, "well, cus' she'll get all mad and stuff at me cus' I mean Jesus, she thinks you'll get all worried about your weight and all, and stop eating, and get real skinny, and unhappy, and start to dislike fat girls but I mean that won't happen cus' mom doesn't understand big-business like you and me right?"

This is just getting worse all the time.

Nothing says good parenting like obliging a child to keep secrets between mom & dad.

What does "big business" mean to you, and what on Earth does it have to do with the topic? :very confused:

How do I know what exactly training regimen he has ? Do you ?
Let's assume he only trains by riding a bike. If he were to pedal uphill, which requires leg strength, he couldn't do it any better than the average person? Since pedaling a bike only gives you microscopic amounts of leg strength, bike peddling that requires strength, like peddling uphill or accelerating quickly, he'd only be able to do microscopically better than the average person.
Now does that make any sense?
Squatting is one of the best way to build leg strength, but it's not the only way. Some people have bad knees and they can't do squats. Are they doomed to have weak legs forever? No, there's other exercises that can build leg strength. Riding a bike is one of them.
I can't see how using your leg muscles to pedal doesn't build leg strength. Do runners not build leg strength because it's an endurance exercise? What if they're sprinters? Of course they build leg strength, since it's not an endurance exercise. But why can't you sprint on a bike? Why do the gods preclude that activity?