Exploring the Sun: Amateur Solar Imaging Techniques

In summary, Dave has been posting photos of the sun taken with his camera. There are two large spot groups visible across the disk and new spots are appearing east of the long string of spots. The activity is continuing to grow in complexity and size.
neilparker62 said:
not very amenable to DIY solutions.
Yes, For a start, the Sun would move across the horizon very fast if a large, distant occluding disc were used and that would need tracking. I used to have a photograph of my son, standing on a wall with a beachball held overhead and producing a pretty good eclipse. I had to do a lot of "forward backward side to side" to make it work. Then I lost the print! baah.

An internal occluding disc would not have the same problems but some fancy optics would be needed to place the Sun image (exactly the right size, of course) at an intermediate focus and then another lens, to project (in focus) both the Sun and the Disc onto the image sensor. Not too hard if you have a selection of appropriate lenses and extension tubes.

Either way, the contrast and the clubby atmosphere are a big problem. You can go down the road and buy a very narrow band filter (a couple of nm bandwidth) if you have at least 1kGBP. You can actually see prominences forming and changing, so they say.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
First solar image for many, many months ( at least 8), between crap weather, skies full of bushfire smoke and the general
lack is significant solar activity.

LUNT LS60THa solar scope, ZWO ASI 1600MM camera

200207 large prom.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri and OmCheeto
I think I saw that whilst trying to tame a PST.

Likes davenn
Cool pic - that 'little' flare will of course dwarf the worst any bushfire can throw at you!

Likes davenn
neilparker62 said:
Cool pic - that 'little' flare will of course dwarf the worst any bushfire can throw at you!
Yes, but it is at a comforting arm's length away. :wink:comical
Our subjective appreciation of astronomical stuff is very non-linear. 'Small' solar surface features are as impressive as the whole beast in many ways. The Earth would be lost in that small bubble.

neilparker62 said:

Yes, a very nice prominence :smile:

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur
There were some clear blue patches between the clouds this morning and I got this image with my DSLR on the PST, using a X2 barlow. The Prominence and some hairy bits around it seem fairly clear but I get no texture detail, whatever curve and level settings I use in the processing. Nonetheless, I now have 'features' that I wouldn't see with my shiny Baader filter. I'm on the way.
sun on coronado-8.jpg

• Love
Likes Andy Resnick, Borg, Klystron and 1 other person
sophiecentaur said:
The Prominence and some hairy bits around it seem fairly clear but I get no texture detail, whatever curve and level settings I use in the processing.

outstanding ! well done :partytime: I was hoping you had a chance to capture that.
Saw in the solar site that I download daily images from

You will discover, like the rest of us already have, that it's almost impossible to keep the surface features
correctly exposed but still be able to image the prominences at the same time.
The prominences are so faint compared to the disk that you have to overexpose the disk to see the prom's
You can experiment with exposing for the disk and save that image with surface features. Then expose for
the prom's and save that image and then merge the 2 images in photoshop ( or your other fav image app)cheers
Dave

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
and I got this image with my DSLR on the PST,

there's another good prom. visible at the moment, you may want to try and photo it :)

Thanks for the heads up.
It's a nice sunny day here but there is a layer of whispy cloud. Plus, I don't have a long time-slot in my busy day as a 'retired' person. Where did all the spare time go that I used to have when at work?

Likes davenn and Bystander
sophiecentaur said:
Where did all the spare time go that I used to have when at work?
Replaced with "Don't Die of Boredom" 'work'. :oldwink:

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
Thanks for the heads up.

Another large prominence on the limb hopefully you have a clear day to see it :smile: Dave

sophiecentaur said:
Thanks for the heads up.

if you can get outside today ... 3 good prom's on limb and a new active region has rotated into view

Likes Stavros Kiri and Drakkith
@davenn busy all day despite loads of Sun! I'm really waiting until some spots turn up as I have seen nothing on the face. Keep nagging me though. You are my Jimminy Cricket!

sophiecentaur said:
'm really waiting until some spots turn up
There is a spot or 2 assoc with this active reg :smile:

it's been ohhh so quiet, I haven't even used my solar scope in ~ 8 months
ya takes what you can get :wink:

davenn said:
if you can get outside today ... 3 good prom's on limb and a new active region has rotated into view
"outside" ... hmm! That reminds me of something! ... Lol (Turns out we have a novel Corona here on Earth now! ...)
But hopefully terrace would be fine ... for now

Likes davenn
25/11/2020
A new and large sunspot has come around the east limb of the sun. This is the return of the large active region of a couple of weeks ago
Canon 6D, fl400mm, 400th sec, f11, ISO100, white light mylar filter

201125 1400EST a.jpg

201125 1400EST b.jpg
cheers
Dave

Likes Stavros Kiri, DennisN, Klystron and 2 others
@davenn Some other very visible apparent features visible in that region. Good picture. Have you tried enhancing with a movie sequence?

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
@davenn Some other very visible apparent features visible in that region. Good picture. Have you tried enhancing with a movie sequence?

Yes there are :smile:

I have messed around with Registax and something else... I just can't seem to make it work like others can
frustrates the hell out of me haha

I need some one to sit down with me and do a step by step work flow

Yeah, I have tried following videos and I just can't get it to do what they show in the videoDave

davenn said:
I have messed around with Registax and something else
I have also tinkered with Registax and it can dig out patterns from even the messiest movies. The problem is in the user interface (this user, at least) . This is a problem with virtually all software that's written by enthusiasts. The software writer knows what they mean and it works fine for them. Users have to get inside the heads of all the designers of the different software they use. Tiresome.

I am a long time Apple User and pretty much all Apple-originated software presents the same interface style. When you open a new application, you just 'know' where to look for most things (that little menu bar). So many of these guys think they can do better by presenting things 'their way' but they seldom do. Anti Applers will jump on that but thirty years of using Apples tells me I am right about this.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Needless to day, a lovely cloudy day. Hahahahahaha
Hahaha, same here, + some rain a few minutes ago ... - BUT the Sun is always there! ... (&Thanks to all types of observatories and techniques etc. ... - + it's a big planet (Earth, I mean [with variety of climate! ...]) ... hahaha)

Likes sophiecentaur
Stavros Kiri said:
BUT the Sun is always there!
& No matter whether it's day or night! ... Lol
:wink:

Stavros Kiri said:
BUT the Sun is always there! ... (&Thanks to all types of observatories and techniques etc. ..
This is true but, by that argument, there would be no point in amateur astronomy at all in an era when we can all see the highest quality images of virtually anything that's out there. The big snag about just looking at what's dished up by the media is that people get a very limited grasp of what the images actually mean (they seem to think they have actually SEEN a black hole, for instance).

Seeing a low quality image of a sunspot from my garden gives me a lift. I resent the presence of cloud and a winter Sun that doesn't go above 40° in the sky for weeks on end. Seeing high quality solar images on-line tends to make me less satisfied and even crosser. :mad: I live in hope.:smile:

Likes Stavros Kiri
sophiecentaur said:
This is true but, by that argument, there would be no point in amateur astronomy at all in an era when we can all see the highest quality images of virtually anything that's out there. The big snag about just looking at what's dished up by the media is that people get a very limited grasp of what the images actually mean (they seem to think they have actually SEEN a black hole, for instance).

Seeing a low quality image of a sunspot from my garden gives me a lift. I resent the presence of cloud and a winter Sun that doesn't go above 40° in the sky for weeks on end. Seeing high quality solar images on-line tends to make me less satisfied and even crosser. :mad: I live in hope.:smile:
Very nice point, and I mostly agree. The purpose of my added (yesterday) joke was not to support further the on-line or internet views, pictures, photos and archives [and dismiss amateur observations etc. (not at all!)] but merely to see realistically the options/all available options, via creating a pictorial and humorous "contradiction" about the Sun ... (Sun, day, night! ... - besides climate [temporary and local] and locations ... - somewhere in the planet, somebody ever has got to be able to see the sun, even just a bit, at some point, etc., usually, except for exeptional days in global Earth planet climate perhaps (I've seen such days (whole planet cloudy - rare) e.g. though ISS app Earth viewing, a couple of winters ago [Jan. '18, for instsance, I think] - in such cases only hope is other types of observations and viewing (e.g. via internet etc.) ... etc.) - you get the point an idea ...).

Of course you're right about the weather and our feelings now - same weather (all clouds, winter and rain here too, several days now and continuing etc. - I don't know, perhpas the southern hemisphere, e.g. Dave- Autralia might surprise us, you never know, one of these days again!? ...)
I feel kind of like the same way. [Though not good in photographing 'n stuff,] I'm also too an amateur astronomy observer and fan! ...

Likes sophiecentaur
08/09/2021
Many spots now. I'm sorry I have no idea of the orientation of the sun in this image. I waited days for the clouds and then went clicking and filming two whole days like a mad guy until it worked.
Canon 200D MkII (or 'SL3'), fl = 700mm, f/18, Mylar filter.
Stacked image from a 300 frame movie (in AS!3). Levels and curves adjusted in post-processing.
There is a thread going on about challenges in my solar imaging, your opinions are welcome.

ap14100.png

Edit: changed f# realizing that the filter is stopping my native aperture.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes davenn and Stavros Kiri
PhysicoRaj said:
Many spots now. I'm sorry I have no idea of the orientation of the sun in this image.

90 deg clockwise :smile:

yes, the biggest groups for the new cycle

davenn said:
90 deg clockwise :smile:

yes, the biggest groups for the new cycle
Thanks. I am lucky to have started at the right time. Do you have any comments on the image quality and details? I observed that you are on 400mm (which is 60% of mine), f11 and its a single exposure compared to a stacked and aligned of mine yet I only come close to as much surface details as you have (around the spots). I think a higher fl and f# should resolve more details on the sensor at prime focus?

Likes davenn
30 Jan 2022 from home
Canon 6D, 1000 Oaks Solar Filter, 400mm telephoto with 2 x converter (800mm)
The large region is AR2396 the small single spot lower right is AR2934

Attachments

• IMG_2536 rotated.jpg
    IMG_2536 rotated.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 85
Likes Oldman too, Andy Resnick, collinsmark and 1 other person
10 Feb. 2022 from home
Canon 6D MKII ( new Camera prev. post was the older 6D), 1000 Oaks Solar Filter,
400mm telephoto with 2 x converter (800mm)

Image hasnt been rotated ...

220210 Sunspots.jpg

Likes Oldman too, Stavros Kiri, Drakkith and 2 others
Sunspots for 02 April 2022
2 major groups which include 4 active regions
left centre - AR's 2978 and 2981
right edge - AR's 2975 and 2975
Canon 6D Ii 400mm telephoto + 2 x converter
White light solar filter

2022-04-02-0029-SharpenAI-Softness-2.jpg

Likes Oldman too, Stavros Kiri, Klystron and 2 others
This large Sunspot group 24 Apr. 2022 continues to progress across the solar disk
This group comprises of several different active regions
The flares have eased off over the last 24 hours
Canon 6D II, 100 - 400mm @400mm + 2 x converter, 800mm total
and a Thousand Oaks white light filter

2022-04-24-0039-SharpenAI-Softness sm.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri, collinsmark, Oldman too and 4 others
This large Sunspot, 07 May 2022 continues to progress across the solar disk. Another couple of days and it will slip around the limb
Spot motion is, from our view, left to right. East to West.
The flares have been regular from this region over the last 5 days.
There is another small group in the lower left
Canon 6D II, 100 - 400mm @400mm + 2 x converter, 800mm total and a Thousand Oaks white light filter

220507 Sunspots.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person