1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions of Heisenberg Equations of Motion for Angular Momenta

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

Imma type this up in word so its nice and clear!

http://imageshack.com/a/img32/2013/3q8s.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    Your equations look right to me, although I don't have a lot of time to check thoroughly right now. So your equations are coupled differential equations, right? They are of the form

$$y_1' = a y_2$$
    $$y_2' = -a y_1$$
    $$y_3' = 0$$

where the prime mark denotes differentiation. The last equation should be simplest to solve. What does it mean if a quantity's time derivative is zero? Does it change?

For the other two, I'm a bit rusty on some parts of differential equations, but I would start by taking the time derivative of your first two equations. See if doing that makes a solution clear.

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    damn, sorry posted by accident. Let me type that again

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4
    So our first equation is:

[itex]\frac{d<L_{x}>}{dt}=\omega_L <L_{y}>[/itex]

If we differentiate this again w.r.t time:

[itex]\frac{d^2 <L_{x}>}{dt^2}=\omega_L \frac{d<L_{y}>}{dt}[/itex]

But we know from our second equation that

[itex]\frac{d<L_{y}>}{dt}=-\omega_L <L_{x}>[/itex]

Substituting gives

[itex]\frac{d^2 <L_{x}>}{dt^2}=-\omega^{2}_{L} <L_{x}>[/itex]

Which has the solution [itex]<L_{x}>=A cos(\omega_L t) + B sin(\omega_L t)[/itex]

But the weird thing is: if we repeat this same thing for the second differential equation, we get the same thing - that is

[itex]\frac{d^2 <L_{y}>}{dt^2}=-\omega^{2}_{L} <L_{y}>[/itex]

So does this basically mean that [itex]<L_{x}>=<L_{y}>[/itex] and that [itex]<L_{z}>[/itex] is constant? I dont see how it can make sense that [itex]<L_{x}>=<L_{y}>[/itex]....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted