Solve AC Nodal Voltage V(t) Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a circuit problem involving two voltage supplies with the same frequency but different values. The suggested methods are using superposition or mesh analysis, with the latter being preferred due to having only one unknown. The problem can also be solved using phasors, either through applying KVL or using superposition and solving for each source individually. Superposition is only applicable if the sources are independent, and if the frequencies are different, it would have to be done in the time domain.
R0CC0

Homework Statement

I've attached the question.
Nodal Voltage question.png

So I'm not sure which method should be used to solve this. I was thinking superposition, but the voltage supplies are are both at the same ω value.

Homework Equations

v(t) = Vmaxcos(ωt + [itex]\phi[/itex])
ZL = jωL
ZC = 1/jωL

The Attempt at a Solution

convert everything to phasor form
Vs1 = 20[itex]\angle[/itex]0°
Vs2 = 20cos(1000t - 90°) = 20[itex]\angle[/itex]-90°
10mH = j10 = 10[itex]\angle[/itex]90°
0.1mF = -j10 = 10[itex]\angle[/itex]-90°

Then I'm not really sure what to do next, do I use superposition or mesh analysis or etc. and then how does that work with phasors?
So would appreciate a push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have marked all node voltages, you could use: current through the inductor + current through the capacitor = current in the resistor
and with only one unknown, solve this to find Vx

In terms of phasors, you can let Vs2 = 20, then Vs1 = 20ejπ/2.

You can then solve using kvl or you can use superposition to solve for one of the sources at a time, then add the results.

Superposition is allowable if the sources are independent, which here they are.

Had the frequencies been different you would have had to use superposition, solving two separate problems individually, with different complex impedances for each problem. Superpositoon would have to be done in the time domain.

1. What is AC Nodal Voltage V(t)?

AC Nodal Voltage V(t) refers to the alternating current (AC) voltage at a specific node in an electrical circuit at a given time (t). It is often used to analyze and solve complex AC circuits.

2. How do I solve for AC Nodal Voltage V(t)?

To solve for AC Nodal Voltage V(t), you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to set up a system of equations. Once you have the equations, you can use algebraic or numerical methods to solve for the unknown voltage at the desired node.

3. What are the steps involved in solving AC Nodal Voltage V(t)?

The steps involved in solving AC Nodal Voltage V(t) include identifying the nodes in the circuit, writing the KCL equations for each node, substituting known values and simplifying the equations, and finally solving for the unknown voltage at the desired node using algebraic or numerical methods.

4. Can I use AC Nodal Voltage V(t) in all types of circuits?

Yes, AC Nodal Voltage V(t) can be used in any type of AC circuit, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. It is a useful tool for analyzing and solving circuits with multiple components and varying AC voltages.

5. How can I check if my solution for AC Nodal Voltage V(t) is correct?

You can check your solution for AC Nodal Voltage V(t) by verifying that it satisfies all of the KCL equations for the nodes in the circuit. Additionally, you can use circuit simulation software or test the circuit in a laboratory to confirm the accuracy of your solution.