Solve Electric Field Homework: Find x Coordinate for E=0

In summary, the problem involves finding the x coordinate for a charge of 1.8e-6 C at the origin and a charge of -7.71e-6 C located 10cm to the right, such that the electric field is equal to 0. The equation used is (-k*q1/x^2)=(k*q2/(0.1+x)^2), and taking the square root on both sides can help simplify the solution.
idk11

Homework Statement

A 1.8e-6 C charge is at the origin, while a -7.71e-6 C charge is 10cm to the right of it. Locate the x coordinate such that E=0. Note: q1 is at the origin O. Answer in units cm.

Homework Equations

Etot=E1+E2
Etot=(-k*q1/x^2)+(k*q2/(0.1+x)^2)
(k*q1/x^2)=(k*q2/(0.1+x)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I promise you I have attempted this equation. I'm not going to type it all out here. I have a sheet full of scratch work. The answer I keep getting is 1.96.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

(k*q1/x^2)=(k*q2/(0.1+x)^2)

I'm not sure where you went from here. But if you take the square root on both sides of the equation, at least you will not have to solve a quadratic.

I would first like to commend you for attempting the problem and doing your own calculations. It is important to show your work and understand the equations and concepts involved in solving a problem like this.

Based on the equations you have provided, it seems like you have set up the problem correctly. However, I would suggest double checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct values for the charges and the distance (10 cm or 0.1 m). It is also important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

If you are still having trouble getting the correct answer, I would suggest seeking help from a teacher or tutor. They can guide you through the problem and help identify any mistakes you may have made.

Overall, it is important to not get discouraged and keep trying. As a scientist, we often encounter challenges and it is through perseverance and problem-solving skills that we are able to find solutions. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Solve Electric Field Homework: Find x Coordinate for E=0

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Why is it important to find the x coordinate for E=0?

Finding the x coordinate for E=0 allows us to determine the point where the electric field is zero. This can help us identify points of equilibrium and understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.

How do I solve for the x coordinate when E=0?

To solve for the x coordinate when E=0, we can use the equation E = kQ/x^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and x is the distance between the two charged particles. We can rearrange this equation to solve for x by setting E to 0 and solving for x.

What are the units for electric field?

The units for electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the CGS system, the units are dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/esu).

Can I use this method to find the x coordinate for any value of E?

Yes, this method can be used for any value of E. We just need to plug in the given value for E and solve for x using the same equation, E = kQ/x^2.