Solve Galvanic Cell Homework with Redox Table

In summary, to determine the anode and cathode in a galvanic cell, you must look at the standard reduction potential chart (redox table). The lower the E° value, the more likely the substance is to be oxidized and the higher the E° value, the more likely it is to be reduced. The equations in the redox table are already balanced and do not need to be flipped. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
lha08

Homework Statement

In a galvanic cell, how do we know which substance is the anode and which is the cathode by using the standard reduction potential chart (redox table)? Ex) Between Cu and Zn, which will donate electrons best...Ex) Pb+2 and Zn+2 which will accept electrons best...I'm really confused...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the values and apparently the higher the E, the more likely reduction will occur but when i compare Cu and Zn don't i have to flip the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand how to determine the anode and cathode in a galvanic cell using the standard reduction potential chart (redox table). The standard reduction potential (E°) is a measure of how easily a species is reduced, or gains electrons, in a redox reaction. The higher the E° value, the more likely the species is to be reduced.

To determine which substance is the anode and which is the cathode, you must first identify the half-reactions for each substance. In a galvanic cell, the anode is where oxidation occurs and the cathode is where reduction occurs.

To find the anode, look for the substance with the lower E° value. This substance is more likely to be oxidized, meaning it will lose electrons and become more positive. In the example given, Zn has a lower E° value than Cu, so Zn will be the anode.

To find the cathode, look for the substance with the higher E° value. This substance is more likely to be reduced, meaning it will gain electrons and become more negative. In the example given, Cu has a higher E° value than Zn, so Cu will be the cathode.

It is important to note that the equations given in the redox table are already balanced and do not need to be flipped. In the example given, the equation for Zn is Zn → Zn+2 + 2e- and the equation for Cu is Cu+2 + 2e- → Cu. These equations are already balanced and do not need to be flipped.

In the case of Pb+2 and Zn+2, you would need to compare their E° values to determine which one is more likely to be reduced and which one is more likely to be oxidized.

I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. it is important to understand and apply these concepts accurately. Keep up the great work!

I understand your confusion with determining the anode and cathode in a galvanic cell using the standard reduction potential chart. The key to understanding this is to remember that the anode is where oxidation occurs and the cathode is where reduction occurs. In terms of the redox table, the substance with the higher standard reduction potential (E°) will be the cathode and the substance with the lower E° will be the anode. This is because the substance with the higher E° is more likely to accept electrons (reduction) while the substance with the lower E° is more likely to donate electrons (oxidation).

In the first example you provided, between Cu and Zn, Cu has a higher E° value of +0.34V compared to Zn's E° of -0.76V. This means that Cu is more likely to accept electrons (reduction) and therefore will be the cathode, while Zn will be the anode.

In the second example, between Pb+2 and Zn+2, Pb+2 has an E° of -0.13V while Zn+2 has an E° of -0.76V. Again, Pb+2 has a higher E° and is more likely to accept electrons (reduction), making it the cathode while Zn+2 will be the anode.

When comparing two substances with positive E° values, the substance with the higher E° will still be the cathode and the one with the lower E° will be the anode. This is because in a galvanic cell, the reaction will proceed in the direction of the more positive E° value.

I hope this explanation helps clarify how to determine the anode and cathode using the standard reduction potential chart. Remember to always consider which substance is more likely to accept or donate electrons and use the E° values as a guide.

Related to Solve Galvanic Cell Homework with Redox Table

1. How do I use a redox table to solve galvanic cell homework?

The first step is to identify the half-reactions for the anode and cathode in the given cell. Then, determine the standard reduction potentials for each half-reaction from the redox table. Next, compare the reduction potentials of the half-reactions to determine which is the anode and which is the cathode. Finally, use the Nernst equation to calculate the cell potential.

2. What is a redox table and how does it work?

A redox table, also known as an electrode potential table, is a chart that lists the standard reduction potentials of various half-reactions. It ranks the tendency of a species to be reduced or oxidized, with the most easily reduced species at the top and the most easily oxidized at the bottom. By comparing the reduction potentials of different half-reactions, we can determine the direction of electron flow in a galvanic cell and calculate the cell potential.

3. How do I determine the standard reduction potential of a half-reaction?

The standard reduction potential (E°) of a half-reaction can be found in a redox table. It is the measure of the tendency of a species to be reduced or oxidized and is expressed in volts (V). The more positive the standard reduction potential, the greater the tendency for the species to be reduced. The more negative, the greater the tendency to be oxidized.

4. Can I use a redox table to predict the spontaneity of a reaction?

Yes, a redox table can be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction. If the reduction potential of the anode is greater than the reduction potential of the cathode, the reaction is spontaneous and the cell potential will be positive. If the reduction potential of the anode is less than the reduction potential of the cathode, the reaction is non-spontaneous and the cell potential will be negative.

5. What are some limitations of using a redox table?

A redox table only provides standard reduction potentials, so it cannot account for temperature, concentration, or pressure effects on the cell potential. Additionally, it assumes ideal conditions and does not account for the real-world factors that can affect the behavior of a galvanic cell. It also does not take into account the kinetics of a reaction, which can impact the actual rate of the reaction.