Solve Inclined Plane System with Spring & Mass

In summary, a block of mass 2.50kg is placed on an inclined plane of angle 20 degrees with a spring of force constant 500 N/m fastened securely at the bottom. The block is projected downward towards the spring with a speed of 0.750 m/s from a distance of 0.300m from the spring. Using conservation of energy, the distance by which the spring is compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest is calculated to be 0.131 m. The attempted approach of using equations F = kx and F = ma is not valid in this scenario as the system is in a state of acceleration, not static equilibrium.
Pyae

Homework Statement

an inclined plane of angle 20 degrees has aspring of force constant k=500 N/m fastened securely at the bottomso that the spring is parallel to the surface. a block of massm=2.50kg is placed on the plane at a distance d=0.300m from thespring. from this position, the block is projected downward towardthe spring with a speed v=0.750 m/s. by what distance is the springcompressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

Homework Equations

F = kx and F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The book says the answer is 0.131 m. But I get different answer. Here's what I'm doing.
a = g * sinθ

m * ax = k * x

Can someone please help me??

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyae said:
The book says the answer is 0.131 m. But I get different answer. Here's what I'm doing.
a = g * sinθ

m * ax = k * x
Your attempted approach might work if the system was in a state of static equilibrium, but it's not. Even though the instantaneous velocity of the block is zero, it is accelerating and that makes a big difference.

I suggest using conservation of energy to solve this problem (you could use kinematics to solve it, but I think conservation of energy will be a little easier).

Related to Solve Inclined Plane System with Spring & Mass

1. How do you calculate the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass?

To calculate the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass, you can use the equation F = mg sinθ + kx, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of inclination, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass?

The relationship between the angle of inclination and the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of inclination increases, the force on the system also increases.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass?

The mass of the object affects the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass through the term mg sinθ in the equation F = mg sinθ + kx. This term represents the component of the force due to the weight of the object, so as the mass increases, the force also increases.

4. What is the role of the spring constant in an inclined plane system with a spring and mass?

The spring constant, represented by k in the equation F = mg sinθ + kx, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines the amount of force needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. In an inclined plane system with a spring and mass, the spring constant contributes to the overall force on the system.

5. Can the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass be negative?

Yes, the force on an inclined plane system with a spring and mass can be negative. This would occur if the displacement of the spring (represented by x in the equation F = mg sinθ + kx) is in the opposite direction of the force due to the weight of the object (represented by mg sinθ). In this case, the two forces would cancel each other out, resulting in a negative net force on the system.