Solve This Question: Ve of PNP Transistor - Why is it 1.68?

• Thread starter munna007
  • Start date
In summary: So in the example above, if the current source had a maximum voltage of 10V, then the voltage drop would be 10V.
munna007
solvethis question please

hello to all...

i m having some doubts in solution of this question...

what i know about this ckt is that this is pnp transistor. +9 volt is connected to emitter (where arrow made) and -9 volt is connected to collector.

i think voltage emitter Voltage Ve should be equal to +9 volt , because current source is not dropping any voltage . but in solution part its found something else i.e 1.68 ...

why is it ? please clear my doubt

Attachments

• DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC00033.jpg
    DSC00033.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org

The current source does have a voltage drop.

Voltages at the base and collector are calculated using Ohm's Law and the known currents through the resistors. The emitter voltage is assumed to be 0.7V above the base.

Here's a more obvious, convincing example of a current source that has a voltage drop:

LEC3_2.GIF

(from http://www.labsanywhere.net/circuit/lectures/lect3/lecture3.php )

Last edited:

Redbelly98 said:
The current source does have a voltage drop.
[/size]

thanks for help fnd.

but how to find voltage drop across current source. would it be like 9-Ve ?

i m unable to understand how is your diagram showing voltage drop across current source ?

please clarify

munna007 said:
how to find voltage drop across current source. would it be like 9-Ve ?
You don't need the voltage drop across the current source to solve this problem. But if you wish to know it, use the fact that the voltage drops across the current source, the 50k resistor, and Veb must sum to 9V.

i m unable to understand how is your diagram showing voltage drop across current source ?

please clarify
The current source has the same voltage drop as the resistor. And the resistor has a current, therefore the voltage drop is not zero.

Redbelly98 said:
The current source has the same voltage drop as the resistor. And the resistor has a current, therefore the voltage drop is not zero.

thanks for the reply ...if we remove the resistance from the circuit shown by you , then will there be a voltage drop across current source ?

That becomes a problem. Similar to asking what is the current when you connect the terminals of a voltage source directly together.

For a theoretically ideal current supply, the voltage drop becomes infinite since the current is being driven through an infinite resistance (V=IR, and R=∞ for an open circuit).

But in a real current supply, the voltage drop would be whatever the maximum voltage of the current supply is.

1. What is a PNP transistor and how does it work?

A PNP transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It consists of three layers of a semiconductor material, with two layers of p-type material sandwiching a layer of n-type material. The transistor works by controlling the flow of current between the two outer layers (called the emitter and collector) by using a small current in the middle layer (called the base).

2. What is the Ve of a PNP transistor?

The Ve of a PNP transistor refers to the "emitter voltage", which is the voltage difference between the emitter and the base of the transistor. It is an important parameter to consider in the analysis and design of transistor circuits.

3. How is the Ve of a PNP transistor calculated?

The Ve of a PNP transistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In the case of a PNP transistor, the Ve can be calculated by taking the voltage difference between the emitter and base (Ve) and dividing it by the current flowing through the base (Ib).

4. Why is the Ve of a PNP transistor 1.68?

The specific value of Ve for a PNP transistor will depend on the specific circuit it is being used in and the values of other parameters such as the base current and resistance. Without further context, it is difficult to determine why the Ve of a PNP transistor may be 1.68 in a given situation.

5. How does the Ve of a PNP transistor affect circuit performance?

The Ve of a PNP transistor is an important parameter that affects the performance of a circuit. It can impact the gain and stability of the transistor, as well as the overall performance of the circuit. A higher Ve can lead to higher output current, but it can also cause problems such as thermal runaway. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully consider and control the Ve of a PNP transistor in circuit design.