Solving the Newtonian Problem: Truck on Circular Track with Spider

In summary, the conversation discusses a Newtonian problem involving a truck going around a circular track with a spider on its inside wall. The coefficient of static friction between the truck wall and the spider is given, and the goal is to determine the maximum speed of the truck before the spider starts to slip down the wall. The individual attempted to solve the problem using the reference frame of the spider and resolved all forces acting on it, but arrived at an incorrect answer. After some clarification, it was determined that the spider is on the wall of the truck that is on the inside of the turn and the wall is oriented 60 degrees to the vertical. Based on this information, the individual's analysis and final result were deemed correct.
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

How would I go about solving this Newtonian problem?
A truck is going around a circular track of radius 72m, banked at 60degrees. A spider rests on the inside wall of the truck. The coefficient of static friction b/w truck wall and spider is .91. Find the max speed that the truck can have before the spider begins to slip down wall.
I attempted using the reference frame of the spider inside the truck and resolving all forces acting on it, and equating it to the centripetal force of course, but I arrive at the supposedly wrong answer.
The spider is the small circle inside the rectangle in the attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• PHYS QUESTION.docx
    39.2 KB · Views: 318
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot open the .docx, and since it is showing "0 views", I'm guessing no-one else can either. Is the spider on wall of the truck nearest the inside of the bend?
Please post your attempt at solution.

The spider is latched onto the tilted surface perpendicular to the inclined ramp (and the driver in his seat in the truck). I resolved, into components, the forces acting on the spider and arrive at an answer of 12.xx m/s. Since acceleration is centripetal (pointing towards the centre), I resolved the forces into a horizontal x and vertical y plane, with respect to the horizontal ground, NOT along the incline.

Nicolaus said:
The spider is latched onto the tilted surface perpendicular to the inclined ramp (and the driver in his seat in the truck). I resolved, into components, the forces acting on the spider and arrive at an answer of 12.xx m/s. Since acceleration is centripetal (pointing towards the centre), I resolved the forces into a horizontal x and vertical y plane, with respect to the horizontal ground, NOT along the incline.
Yes, but am I right to assume that 'down' for the spider is towards the centre of the turn?
When I asked you to post your attempt, I meant your working. This is a standard requirement on these forums.

Down for the spider is parallel to the incline, so 60degrees with respect to the horizontal (in the same direction as mgsin(theta).
This is what I did (forces acting on spider):
Fnetx = N(μs sinθ -cosθ) = mv^2/r
Fnety = 0 = Nsinθ +Ffcosθ - mg --> ∴ N = mg/(sinθ + μcosθ)
substitute for N and rearrange for v.

You're stil not grasping what it is that's ambiguous in your description. If I am standing in the truck looking at the spider, am I facing the centre of the turn or do I have my back to it? I'm guessing the former.
Based on that, your equations and answer look right.
Are you quite sure it's 60 degrees to the horizontal, not the vertical?

Yes, you would be facing the centre of the turn. Sorry for the ambiguity.
Thanks.

Is it correct to say that, if the track is banked 60 degrees, then the side wall that the bug is on is oriented 60 degrees to the vertical (30 degrees to the horizontal)? If this were the case, then, in your equations, θ = 60 degrees. Correct? And the bug is on the wall of the truck that is on the inside of the turn?

Chet

@Chestermiller: Yes, that's correct.

Nicolaus said:
@Chestermiller: Yes, that's correct.
Then I agree with your analysis. How does your final result compare with the "right" answer?

1. How does the spider stay attached to the truck as it moves on the circular track?

The spider stays attached to the truck due to the force of friction. As the truck moves, the spider's feet grip onto the surface of the truck, creating friction that prevents it from sliding off. This frictional force is also what allows the spider to move in the same direction as the truck without falling off.

2. What role does gravity play in this scenario?

Gravity is the force that keeps the truck and spider on the circular track. The truck is constantly being pulled towards the center of the track by the centripetal force, and the spider is able to stay attached due to gravity pulling it towards the surface of the truck.

3. How does the speed of the truck affect the spider's position on the circular track?

The speed of the truck affects the amount of centripetal force acting on the spider. As the truck speeds up, the centripetal force increases, causing the spider to move towards the outer edge of the track. Similarly, as the truck slows down, the centripetal force decreases and the spider moves towards the center of the track.

4. Can the spider move freely on the truck or does it have a limited range of motion?

The spider has a limited range of motion on the truck due to the circular motion of the track. It can move along the surface of the truck, but its movements will always be in the direction of the truck's movement. It cannot move perpendicular to the track or in any direction that would cause it to lose contact with the truck.

5. How is the force of the truck's movement transferred to the spider?

The force of the truck's movement is transferred to the spider through the surface of the truck. As the truck accelerates or decelerates, the surface of the truck exerts a force on the spider, causing it to move in the same direction. This force is then transferred to the spider's feet, allowing it to grip onto the truck and move with it.