Why is Specific Rotation Not a Colligative Property? Answers Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between rotation and specific rotation, and whether molarity should be included in the formula for specific rotation. The individual asking the question suggests that it should, but the other person argues that concentration in g/L and molarity are interchangeable.
pseudogirl
Why is specific rotation not a colligative property?
i just read that it depends on concentration(gm/litre)
but i feel that it should depend on molarity considering the fact that rotation is due to changes in molecular structure...do i have a point or am i just being silly ...can someone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you are confusing rotation with specific rotation.

i am sorry .i did confuse them both
so does rotation depend on number of moles per liter?this is the formula in the book

specific rotation=rotation/l*cl=length of polarimeter tube
c=concentration of optically active solution in (gm/l)why is molarity not there in the formula?

pseudogirl said:
so does rotation depend on number of moles per liter?

Yes.

c=concentration of optically active solution in (gm/l)

why is molarity not there in the formula?

Does it have to be there? Concentration in the definition is expressed in g/L, g/L and molarity are easily interconvertible.

You have a valid point. Specific rotation is not a colligative property because it is dependent on the molecular structure of the substance, rather than just its concentration. Colligative properties, such as boiling point elevation and freezing point depression, are only affected by the number of particles present in a solution, not the type or structure of the particles. Therefore, specific rotation is not considered a colligative property.

1. Why is specific rotation not a colligative property?

Specific rotation is not a colligative property because it is not affected by the number of molecules present in a solution. Colligative properties, such as boiling point elevation and freezing point depression, are dependent on the concentration of solute particles in a solution. However, specific rotation is a measure of the rotation of polarized light by a particular molecule, and it remains constant regardless of the number of molecules present.

2. How is specific rotation different from colligative properties?

Specific rotation is different from colligative properties in that it is not dependent on the concentration of solute particles in a solution. Colligative properties are affected by the number of solute particles, while specific rotation is a unique characteristic of a particular molecule.

3. Can specific rotation be used to determine the concentration of a solution?

No, specific rotation cannot be used to determine the concentration of a solution. As it is not a colligative property, it is not affected by the concentration of solute particles. Therefore, it cannot be used as a measure of concentration.

4. Are all optically active substances affected by specific rotation?

Yes, all optically active substances exhibit specific rotation. Specific rotation is a measure of the rotation of polarized light by a substance, and all optically active substances have the ability to rotate polarized light.

5. Why is specific rotation important in chemistry?

Specific rotation is important in chemistry because it can provide information about the structure, identity, and purity of a molecule. By measuring the specific rotation of a substance, scientists can determine the degree of optical activity and use it as a tool for identifying and characterizing molecules. This is particularly useful in the pharmaceutical industry, where specific rotation is used to determine the purity of drug compounds.