Speed of electron accelerated by a potential difference

In summary, the author is looking for help with two problems: finding the velocity of a particle when accelerated to the point that it exceeds or approaches the speed of light, and finding the gamma value for a particle of a certain mass when the classical equations are used. They've tried many things, but are having trouble with either problem. They've found a solution for the second problem, but are still having trouble with the first.
Brianrofl

Homework Statement

The full problem can be seen here - however, I only need help with one part: http://puu.sh/biN9W/ee2a7bf393.png

I'm not sure how to find the velocity of a particle when accelerated to the point that it exceeds or approaches the speed of light when the classical equations are used. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with it.

Homework Equations

K = (γ-1)mc^2
P = γmv
Mass of electron: .511MeV/c^2 or 9.11*10^-31kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got 5+ pages of scratch work scribble but I've tried many things. I've tried just using classical equations, which nets a velocity greater than the speed of light, so that can't work. I've tried finding the value of gamma from K = (γ-1)mc^2 and using that value of γ to find a velocity, but that didn't give me the correct answer either.

An explanation or tips would really be appreciated. Also, another problem that I've been having a lot of trouble with can be seen here http://puu.sh/biNDy/4bdaa9d2b3.png . This one really racks my brain. For this one, I've had two thoughts:

1. The velocity needed to travel the distance in a certain time
and
2. The velocity needed to dilate time to a specific number

and it's this that kills me. I feel like, as #1 changes, #2 also changes. I've tried making two equations - one setting v equal to the distance of the planet divided by time, and another one setting time equal to the time dilation equation (ΔT/sqrt(1-u^2/c^2))

Any tips for this one would also be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brianrofl said:

Homework Statement

The full problem can be seen here - however, I only need help with one part: http://puu.sh/biN9W/ee2a7bf393.png

I'm not sure how to find the velocity of a particle when accelerated to the point that it exceeds or approaches the speed of light when the classical equations are used. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with it.

Homework Equations

K = (γ-1)mc^2
P = γmv
Mass of electron: .511MeV/c^2 or 9.11*10^-31kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got 5+ pages of scratch work scribble but I've tried many things. I've tried just using classical equations, which nets a velocity greater than the speed of light, so that can't work. I've tried finding the value of gamma from K = (γ-1)mc^2 and using that value of γ to find a velocity, but that didn't give me the correct answer either.

An explanation or tips would really be appreciated. Also, another problem that I've been having a lot of trouble with can be seen here http://puu.sh/biNDy/4bdaa9d2b3.png . This one really racks my brain. For this one, I've had two thoughts:

1. The velocity needed to travel the distance in a certain time
and
2. The velocity needed to dilate time to a specific number

and it's this that kills me. I feel like, as #1 changes, #2 also changes. I've tried making two equations - one setting v equal to the distance of the planet divided by time, and another one setting time equal to the time dilation equation (ΔT/sqrt(1-u^2/c^2))

Any tips for this one would also be appreciated!

For the first one, did you try simply setting the relativistic KE equal to Q times the difference of potential?

For the second, you have to pick a frame. For example, working in the frame of the spaceship, the time interval is 11 years and the distance traveled will be the round trip distance as measured on Earth divided by the gamma factor. You set that up and solve for the speed. (Edit: by that I mean: you set speed = distance / time, using the values in the astronaut`s frame)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: as for the first idea, Q * V turns out to be equal to 48MeV

However, I found out something I was doing wrong with the equation. When I substituted e = .511MeV/c^2 into the mass m in (γ-1)mc^2, I didn't include the /c^2. This was making my gamma value ridiculously small.

After fixing that I got a gamma value of 28.397 (note: I'm doing a practice problem where V = 14MV), and then I used the equation

P = γmv where I put in (28.397)(.511MeV/c^2)(.9994c) and I get 14.50MeV/c - which is the right answer so looks like I've solved this one.

I'll try out the astronaut problem again in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Related to Speed of electron accelerated by a potential difference

What is the speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference?

The speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference depends on the magnitude of the potential difference and the mass of the electron. It can be calculated using the equation v = √(2eV/m), where e is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

How does increasing the potential difference affect the speed of an electron?

Increasing the potential difference will increase the speed of the electron. This is because the potential difference provides the energy needed to accelerate the electron, according to the equation v = √(2eV/m).

What factors affect the speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference?

The speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference is affected by the magnitude of the potential difference, the mass of the electron, and any external forces acting on the electron, such as electric or magnetic fields.

What is the relationship between potential difference and kinetic energy of an electron?

The potential difference is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of an electron. This means that as the potential difference increases, the kinetic energy and speed of the electron also increase.

How does the speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference compare to the speed of light?

The speed of an electron accelerated by a potential difference can reach very high speeds, but it is always less than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.