Sphere using mulitiple integration

In summary, you are trying to find a number a so that the volume inside the hemisphere and outside the cylinder is 1/4 the volume of the hemisphere.
AlmostFamous
I've proved the volume of a sphere using multiple integration but now i need to use that for the following:

find a so that the volume inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and outside the cylinder [tex]x^2 + y^2= a^2[/tex] is one quarter of the hemisphere.

I'm having trouble even formulating an integral for this. Once it is set up as a multiple integral i'll be okay with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
AlmostFamous said:
I've proved the volume of a sphere using multiple integration but now i need to use that for the following:

find a so that the volume inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and outside the cylinder [tex]x^2 + y^2= a^2[/tex] is one quarter of the hemisphere.

I'm having trouble even formulating an integral for this. Once it is set up as a multiple integral i'll be okay with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
My first reaction when I read this was "find a what??":rofl: you are to find a number a so that the volume inside the hemisphere and outside the cylinder is 1/4 the volume of the hemisphere. That is the same as saying the volume inside the hemisphere and inside the cylider is 3/4 the volume of the hemisphere. Of course, a sphere of radius 4 has volume [itex]\frac{4}{3}\pi(4)^3= \frac{216}{3}\pi[/itex] and the hemisphere has volume [itex]\frac{128}{3}\pi[/itex]so you are looking for a that will make the volume 3/4 of that: [itex]32\pi[/itex].

I would recommend using cylindrical coordinates (obviously, a is less than 4). Then the integral with respect to r is from 0 to a (unknown), the integral with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] is from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], and the integral with respect to z is from 0 to the hemisphere: 0 to [itex]\sqrt{16- r^2}[/itex].

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^a\int_0^{\sqrt{16-r^2}}rdzdrd\theta= 2\pi\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}rdr[/tex]

That, of course, is a very simple integral which will give you the volume in terms of a. Set it equal to [itex]32\pi[/itex] and solve for a.

Last edited by a moderator:
shouldn't that be setting it equal to 32/pi not 32pi?

also where does the equation [itex]\sqrt{16- r^2}[/itex] come from?

is this possible to do in cartesian coords? or is this way just easier.

Why in the world would it be 32/pi? The volume of a hemisphere of radius 4 is pi times(2/3)(43) and 3/4 of that is [itex]32\pi[/itex].
The equation you gave for the hemisphere was [itex]z= \sqrt{16- x^2- y^}[/itex]. In polar coordinates (cylindrical coordinates without z) [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex] so that becomes [itex]z= \sqrt{16- r^2}[/itex].

Yes, you can do it in Cartesian coordinates: the integral would be
[tex]\int_{x=-a}^a\int_{y=-\sqrt{a^2- x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\int_{z=0}^{\sqrt{16-x^2-y^2}}dzdydx= \int_{x=-a}^a\int_{y= -\sqrt{a^2- x^2}}^{\sqrt{16-x^2}}\sqrt{16- x^2- y^2}dydx[/tex]
and you will have to do a rather complicated trig substitution to integrate that. I think you will find it is far simpler in polar coordinates!

i thought it should be 32pi, but you'd got 32/pi further up in the question, so i was just checking.

and asking where the 16-r^2 part came from was a stupid question that i realized the answer to as soon as i clicked on submit reply lol

thanks for the help

the final integral looks simple enough, but believe it or not...i just can't seem to do it. the more i look at it the more i can't do it.

[tex]2\pi\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}rdr[/tex]

could i get a hint as to how to do this? I'm guessing integration by parts, but i can't figure out how to integrate [tex]\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}dr[/tex]

AlmostFamous said:
the final integral looks simple enough, but believe it or not...i just can't seem to do it. the more i look at it the more i can't do it.

could i get a hint as to how to do this? I'm guessing integration by parts, but i can't figure out how to integrate [tex]\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}dr[/tex]

Try the substitution u= 16- r2!

([itex]\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}dr[/itex] is a standard trig substitution: let [itex]x= 4 sin(\theta)[/itex] but having the r outside the integral makes [itex]2\pi\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}rdr[/itex] much easier.)

i was never particularly good with integration by substitution, but i'll give this a go. thanks

okay, I've had a go at this and i end up with
[itex]2pi\frac{(16-r^2)^2}{4}=32pi[/itex] between the limits of a and 0, where a is the number I'm trying to find. then i'd go on to substitue a in and solve.

could someone tell me if this is right, or have i gone drastically wrong somewhere.

No, the limits of integration, after the substitution, are no longer 0 and a. Also, the anti-derivative of u1/2 will involve a factor of 2/3 and I don't see that anywhere. If u= 16- r2 then du= -2r dr so -(1/2)du= rdr. Of course, [itex]\sqrt{16-r^2}= u^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]. When r= 0, u= 16 and when r= a, u= 16-a2 so the integral becomes
[tex]\pi\int_{16}^{16-a^2}u^{\frac{1}{2}}du= \frac{2\pi}{3}(16-a^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}= 32\pi[/tex]

That should be easy to solve for a.

But solving this

[tex]\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}dr[/tex]

is not the answer to this

because the r times root 16 - r squared, why have you ignored the r.

How do you incorporate that?

Cheers Ash

ashnicholls said:
But solving this

[tex]\int_0^a\sqrt{16-r^2}dr[/tex]

is not the answer to this

because the r times root 16 - r squared, why have you ignored the r.

How do you incorporate that?

Cheers Ash
Which post are you referring to? Both Almost Famous and I, in our last posts, were referring to

1. What is the definition of a sphere using multiple integration?

A sphere using multiple integration is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume, surface area, and other properties of a three-dimensional sphere by integrating over multiple variables.

2. How is multiple integration used to find the volume of a sphere?

To find the volume of a sphere using multiple integration, a triple integral is used, where the limits of integration correspond to the radius of the sphere and the angles of a spherical coordinate system.

3. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using multiple integration?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using multiple integration is an iterated integral using the radius of the sphere, the angles of a spherical coordinate system, and the derivative of the radius with respect to one of the angles.

4. Can multiple integration be used to find the center of mass of a solid sphere?

Yes, multiple integration can be used to find the center of mass of a solid sphere. By integrating over the volume of the sphere and dividing by the total mass, the coordinates of the center of mass can be calculated.

5. Are there any real-world applications of multiple integration for spheres?

Yes, multiple integration for spheres has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the gravitational potential and electric field inside a hollow spherical shell or to determine the trajectory of a satellite orbiting a planet.