Calculating Distance Traveled on a Winding Trajectory From North to South Pole

In summary, the conversation discusses an airplane flying from the North Pole to the South Pole along a winding trajectory. The trajectory can be described using spherical coordinates, with the plane confined to a sphere of radius R centered at the origin and the pilot maintaining a constant velocity v in the -z direction. The pilot also travels south while "winding" around the Earth at a constant rate ω in the azimuthal angle ϕ. The total distance traveled by the pilot can be calculated using spherical coordinates, with the integral taking the form of ∫A√(1+B^2(sin(θ))^n)dθ where A, B, and n are constants in terms of R, v, and ω.
kitsh

Homework Statement

An airplane flies from the North Pole to the South Pole, following a winding trajectory. Place the center of the Earth at the origin of your coordinate system, and align the south-to-north axis of the Earth with your z axis. The pilot’s trajectory can then be described as follows:
1) The plane’s trajectory is confined to a sphere of radius R centered on the origin.
2) The pilot maintains a constant velocity v in the -z direction, thus the z coordinate can be described as z(t)=R-vt
3) The pilot "winds" around the Earth as she travels south, covering a constant ω radians per second in the azimuthal angle ϕ, thus ϕ(t)=ωt

Calculate the total distance traveled by the pilot. What you will find is that time t is not the best IP with which to parametrize this path. You can start with it, certainly … but then get rid of it in terms of a different choice for your IP: θ, from spherical coordinates

Homework Equations

Spherical coordinates are (r, θ, ϕ)
The Answer should be in the form of ∫A√(1+B^2(sin(θ))^n)dθ where A, B and n are either numerical constants or constants in in the terms of R, v and ω

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how I am supposed to approach this question, it is nothing like anything I have seen in this class or any other

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with spherical coordinates. With constant radius, R, [itex]x= R cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= R sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= R cos(phi)[/itex]. Here we have [itex]z= R cos(\phi)= R- vt[/itex] and [itex]\phi= \omega t[/te]x] so [itex]z= R cos(\omega t)= R- vt[/itex]

So I converted everything to spherical which helps some and I know the bounds of integration are going to be from 0 to pi and that the integration constant is rdθ but I still can't figure out how to get the integral into the form indicated above.

kitsh said:
So I converted everything to spherical which helps some and I know the bounds of integration are going to be from 0 to pi and that the integration constant is rdθ but I still can't figure out how to get the integral into the form indicated above.
Please post your working as far as you get.

1. How does the Earth's shape affect its spiralling motion?

The Earth's shape, specifically its oblate spheroid shape, causes it to spiral around the sun. This is due to the gravitational pull of the sun on the Earth's equatorial bulge, which causes the planet to constantly adjust its position in orbit, resulting in a spiral motion.

2. Why is the Earth's orbit not a perfect circle?

The Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle because of the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in our solar system. These gravitational forces cause the Earth to deviate from a circular orbit and instead follow an elliptical path.

3. Does the Earth's spiralling motion have any impact on our seasons?

Yes, the Earth's spiralling motion plays a crucial role in our seasons. As the Earth orbits the sun, it also rotates on its axis, causing the different hemispheres to receive varying amounts of sunlight. This results in the changing of seasons throughout the year.

4. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one full spiral around the sun?

The Earth completes one full spiral around the sun, also known as an orbit, in approximately 365.25 days. This is why we have leap years every four years to account for the .25 days that accumulate over time.

5. What would happen if the Earth stopped spiralling around the sun?

If the Earth were to suddenly stop its spiralling motion around the sun, it would continue to move in a straight line tangent to its orbit. This would cause the Earth to drift off into space and no longer receive the necessary sunlight for life to exist. The Earth's spiralling motion is essential for maintaining a stable orbit and sustaining life on our planet.