Square Root Indefinite Integral

In summary, I substituted u=e^x in the integral and the e^x didn't cross out, so I was able to just let it equal u and multiply 1/u into the original integral. I got the answer and it matched wolfram alpha.
B18
Hello everyone..

Homework Statement

∫√((1+(e^-x))^2)dx

2. The attempt at a solution
I first tried to do a u sub and then attempt a trig sub however I can't do anything with the e^-x left in the u sub. Does anyone have another way I can integrate this thing??

Thank you for any suggestions/help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:
Hello everyone..

Homework Statement

∫√((1+e^-x)^2)dx

2. The attempt at a solution
I first tried to do a u sub and then attempt a trig sub however I can't do anything with the e^-x left in the u sub. Does anyone have another way I can integrate this thing??

Thank you for any suggestions/help!

Before doing anything, try computing the square root.

The integral is within an arc length problem if it matters. However when i integrate (1+(e^-x)^2)^1/2 from 0 to 2 i get roughly 2.2214187 and when i integrate 1+e^-x from 0 to 2 i get 2.8647.
Am I allowed to square root 1+(e^-x)^2 and receive 1+e^-x?

I'm sorry I forgot the parenthesis around the (e^-x)^2 it should be square root of ((1+((e^-x)^2)))

B18 said:
The integral is within an arc length problem if it matters. However when i integrate (1+(e^-x)^2)^1/2 from 0 to 2 i get roughly 2.2214187 and when i integrate 1+e^-x from 0 to 2 i get 2.8647.
Am I allowed to square root 1+(e^-x)^2 and receive 1+e^-x?

B18 said:
I'm sorry I forgot the parenthesis around the (e^-x)^2 it should be square root of ((1+((e^-x)^2)))
Well that changes everything.

Then, of course, [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{1+\left(e^{-x}\right)^2}\ne 1+e^{-x}\ .\ [/itex] You wouldn't expect the two integrals to give the same result.

B18 said:

Using too many brackets is almost as confusing as not using enough. Do you mean (a): ##\sqrt{1+(e^{-x})^2}## or (b): ##\sqrt{(1 + e^{-x})^2}##? If you mean (a) you can write it as sqrt(1 + (e^{-x})^2); if you mean (b) you can write it as sqrt((1 + e^{-x})^2). You can even write e^-x without the {} bracket, as you have done, but some people would argue with that.

I thought in your OP you meant (b), and that is why I suggested you do the square root first. In (a) you can still simplify it usefully before tackling the integral.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Well that changes everything.

Then, of course, [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{1+\left(e^{-x}\right)^2}\ne 1+e^{-x}\ .\ [/itex] You wouldn't expect the two integrals to give the same result.

your right, so is there a specific technique of integration I should use for this integral?

Ray Vickson said:
Using too many brackets is almost as confusing as not using enough. Do you mean (a): ##\sqrt{1+(e^{-x})^2}## or (b): ##\sqrt{(1 + e^{-x})^2}##? If you mean (a) you can write it as sqrt(1 + (e^{-x})^2); if you mean (b) you can write it as sqrt((1 + e^{-x})^2). You can even write e^-x without the {} bracket, as you have done, but some people would argue with that.

I thought in your OP you meant (a), and that is why I suggested you do the square root first. In (b) you can still simplify it usefully before tackling the integral.

A is what the integral i must find looks like. I truly wish it had looked like B though...

Anyone have an idea?

B18 said:
Anyone have an idea?
Looking at the results from WolframAlpha, the indefinite integral is messy, but not impossible.

I'm still attempting to solve it but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

If I substituted u= e^x in any integral and the e^x didn't cross out can I just let it equal u and multiply 1/u into the original integral?? Or is that illegal?

After three substitutions and a partial fraction I have the answer and it matches wolfram alpha. Thanks for the help

So, just to clarify, the integral is

##\int \sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}\;dx##?

Yes that's correct

Alright, well here's what I did:

##\displaystyle\int\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}\;dx\\
\displaystyle\int\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}}{\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}}\;dx\\
\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1+e^{-2x}}{\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}}\;dx\\
\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1+e^{-2x}}{\sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}}{\sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}}\;dx\\
\displaystyle\int \dfrac{\left(1+e^{-2x}\right)\sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}}{1-e^{-2x}}\;dx##

As a substitution, let ##u=e^{-x},\;du=-e^{-x}dx\Rightarrow dx=-\dfrac{du}{u}##.

##\displaystyle-\int \dfrac{\left(1+u^2\right)\sqrt{1-u^2}}{1-u^2}\;\dfrac{du}{u}##

Then, a trig substitution with ##u = \sin t,\;du=\cos t\;dt##.

##\displaystyle-\int \dfrac{\left(1+\sin^2t\right)\sqrt{1-\sin^2t}}{\sin t\left(1-\sin^2t\right)}\cos t\;dt##

Something tells me there may have been a slightly shorter route in the first set of rewriting, though...

Actually, I take it back. After looking over the first few lines, it doesn't look like stopping after one of the earlier steps gives you an easy integral to work with.

Another way you could possibly do this would be a u= e^-x then a trig sub (tan)

B18 said:
Another way you could possibly do this would be a u= e^-x then a trig sub (tan)

For ##\int \sqrt{1+e^{-2x}}\, dx,## substitute ##e^{-2x} = u.##

I would leave the e^-x squared that way the trig sub would work after u=e^-x

Just another approach. Consider the substitution x = ln u. So dx = 1/u du

The integral becomes: ##\int \sqrt{1+u^{-2}}/u du##. From here, the integral should be pretty straight-forward with some trig substitutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
B18 said:
I would leave the e^-x squared that way the trig sub would work after u=e^-x
You have just responded to a thread that's over 3 years old !

1. What is a square root indefinite integral?

A square root indefinite integral is a mathematical expression that represents the antiderivative of a function that includes a square root. It is commonly written in the form ∫√f(x)dx.

2. How do you solve a square root indefinite integral?

To solve a square root indefinite integral, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. You can also use algebraic manipulation to transform the expression into a form that is easier to integrate.

3. Can all square root expressions be integrated?

No, not all square root expressions can be integrated using elementary functions. Some integrals involving square roots may be expressed in terms of elliptic integrals or require numerical methods to solve.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite square root integral?

A definite square root integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite square root integral does not. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

5. Why is the square root indefinite integral important in mathematics?

The square root indefinite integral is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the antiderivative of a function involving a square root. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, and solving differential equations.